1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you were to start over your mathematical education

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1
    I found a list of books on Amazon from a graduate student in math, who made a list of books he/she would recommend to undergraduates considering graduate school in math. They are books that he/she would ideally have learned from in undergrad classes, or that would have benefited him/her greatly during undergrad years. Some of the books on the list were Artin's Algebra and Differential Topology by Pollack. So, I was wondering, do any math graduate students in this forum have books in mind that they found very good to learn from?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2
    Hmm... can you link to that list?

I'm an undergraduate myself.

I'm currently reading Andrew Wallace's "Introduction to Algebraic Topology", and I like the style very much. I can't say I have enough perspective to recommend it over any other book, however.
  4. Aug 21, 2010 #3
    For a first course in the following topics, I especially liked the following books:
    "Complex Variables and Applications" by Brown and Churchill
    "Elementary Number Theory and its Applications" by Rosen
    "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" by Gallian
    "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill
  5. Aug 21, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook