If you were to start over your mathematical education

R1QG5PO1PQSY8KIn summary, a graduate student in math shared a list of recommended books for undergraduates interested in pursuing graduate school in math, including Artin's Algebra and Differential Topology by Pollack. Another student recommends Andrew Wallace's "Introduction to Algebraic Topology" and lists other books they found helpful for specific topics. A link to the list was also provided.
murmillo
I found a list of books on Amazon from a graduate student in math, who made a list of books he/she would recommend to undergraduates considering graduate school in math. They are books that he/she would ideally have learned from in undergrad classes, or that would have benefited him/her greatly during undergrad years. Some of the books on the list were Artin's Algebra and Differential Topology by Pollack. So, I was wondering, do any math graduate students in this forum have books in mind that they found very good to learn from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... can you link to that list?

I'm an undergraduate myself.

I'm currently reading Andrew Wallace's "Introduction to Algebraic Topology", and I like the style very much. I can't say I have enough perspective to recommend it over any other book, however.

For a first course in the following topics, I especially liked the following books:
"Complex Variables and Applications" by Brown and Churchill
"Elementary Number Theory and its Applications" by Rosen
"Contemporary Abstract Algebra" by Gallian
"Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill

jgm340: Here is the link to the list:

I would highly recommend starting over your mathematical education by incorporating a diverse range of resources, including books such as those recommended by the graduate student in math. The books on the list, such as Artin's Algebra and Differential Topology by Pollack, are well-known and respected in the field of mathematics and would provide a strong foundation for further studies in graduate school.

In addition to these books, I would also suggest exploring other resources such as online courses, lectures, and hands-on practice problems. It is important to have a well-rounded understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, and utilizing various resources can help to achieve this.

Furthermore, I would encourage seeking out guidance and mentorship from experienced mathematicians, whether it be through discussions, seminars, or research opportunities. Learning from those who have already gone through the educational journey can be invaluable in developing a deeper understanding of the subject.

Overall, my advice would be to approach mathematical education with an open mind and a willingness to explore various resources and seek guidance from others. This will not only enhance your understanding of the subject, but also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in graduate school and in the field of mathematics.

1. How do you think your mathematical education would have been different if you were to start over?

If I were to start over my mathematical education, I believe that I would have a stronger foundation in basic concepts and skills. I would also have a better understanding of how to approach and solve complex problems.

2. What advice would you give to someone who wants to start over their mathematical education?

I would advise them to focus on building a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and to not be afraid of making mistakes. It is important to have a growth mindset and to continuously challenge yourself with new and challenging problems.

3. How important is it to have a good teacher or mentor when starting over your mathematical education?

A good teacher or mentor can make a huge difference when starting over a mathematical education. They can provide guidance, support, and resources to help you learn and understand the material effectively. However, with determination and self-motivation, one can also learn and improve without a teacher or mentor.

4. What are some resources or tools you would recommend for someone starting over their mathematical education?

I would recommend using textbooks, online courses, and practice problems to build a strong foundation in mathematical concepts. It is also helpful to join study groups or seek help from tutors or teachers when needed.

5. How can starting over your mathematical education benefit your career as a scientist?

Starting over your mathematical education can benefit your career as a scientist by providing a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. This can be useful in analyzing and interpreting data, developing and testing hypotheses, and making accurate predictions. Additionally, a strong mathematical background can open up opportunities for research and collaboration in various scientific fields.