If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?

• Thread starter threetheoreom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary: So its not like the stories stopped happening because there's no dragon - there just wasn't one around to capture on film or in stories.
threetheoreom
I came accros this question while reading a bit of Logic and i was wondering what you guys think about. If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?

Hope its not too trivial.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Some things to consider:

Does "making a stone that Zeus cannot lift" fall under the umbrella of "anything"?

Does "Zeus lifting a stone that Zeus cannot lift" fall under the umbrella of "anything"?

Is Zeus required to still satisfy the condition that he can "do anything" after creating such a stone?

I think I get it 'do anything' ,'Zeus' are all prepositions that are logically disconnected

threetheoreom said:
I came accros this question while reading a bit of Logic and i was wondering what you guys think about. If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?

Hope its not too trivial.

thanks

Its an old philosophical puzzle, but mostly a word game. It has its uses as a thought experiment, so its not trivial, but mainly it shows how nonsensical the idea of omnipotence is.

On the other hand...

Zeus could indeed create a boulder he couldn't lift, but then when he wants to lift it, he could make himself stronger and lift it... as long as Hera didn't make the boulder even heavier when poor old Zeus wasn't looking.

JoeDawg said:
but mainly it shows how nonsensical the idea of omnipotence is.
For the naive notion of omnipoitence.

Astronomer and Astrobiologist Carl Sagan made the following analogy about an invisible dragon in his book "The Demon-Haunted World - Science as a candle in the dark", which sums up my points.

A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle -- but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick." And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists?

What does it mean to say that Zeus can or cannot create a stone heavier than he can life?

Hurkyl said:
For the naive notion of omnipoitence.

Not sure what you're saying here.

JoeDawg said:
Zeus could indeed create a boulder he couldn't lift, but then when he wants to lift it, he could make himself stronger and lift it... as long as Hera didn't make the boulder even heavier when poor old Zeus wasn't looking.

That's damn true. Why not? after all ,he IS the father of the gods., and I doubt that even Hera could do anything(I could be wrong here - I'm not a greek mythology guru/pundit). And as for dragons - I personally believe that the stories themselves are proof they exist. They may not necessarily live in our dimension, but may have gone to another(dragons are known for their magical prowess), when Christianity came across the globe, and people started hunting and killing them, for example, St.George, by branding them the embodiment of Satan.

1. Can Zeus really do anything?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether or not Zeus, a fictional Greek god, can do anything. However, in Greek mythology, Zeus is considered the most powerful god and is often described as being able to control natural forces and manipulate reality.

2. What is the paradox behind "If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?"

The paradox lies in the fact that if Zeus is truly all-powerful, he should be able to create a stone that is so heavy that he cannot lift it. However, if he can't lift the stone, then there is something he cannot do, which contradicts the idea of being able to do anything.

3. How do philosophers and theologians explain this paradox?

There are several explanations for this paradox. Some argue that the question itself is flawed and based on a false premise that an all-powerful being must be able to do anything without limitations. Others suggest that it is a test of logical reasoning and that the concept of omnipotence (all-powerful) may not apply to deities in the same way it applies to humans.

4. Is this paradox unique to Zeus or does it apply to other gods or beings?

The paradox can be applied to any being that is considered to be all-powerful. In Greek mythology, it is often associated with Zeus, but it has also been used in discussions about the Christian concept of God. It can also be applied to other fictional characters or even to humans in hypothetical scenarios.

5. What is the significance of this paradox in the study of philosophy and theology?

This paradox raises important questions about the nature of omnipotence and the limitations of human understanding. It also challenges our understanding of logic and the concept of infinity. Philosophers and theologians have used this paradox to explore the complexities of the human mind and the limitations of language in describing divine beings.