Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    I came accros this question while reading a bit of Logic and i was wondering what you guys think about. If Zeus can do anything can he make a stone he cannot lift?

Hope its not too trivial.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some things to consider:

Does "making a stone that Zeus cannot lift" fall under the umbrella of "anything"?

Does "Zeus lifting a stone that Zeus cannot lift" fall under the umbrella of "anything"?

Is Zeus required to still satisfy the condition that he can "do anything" after creating such a stone?

4. Jul 1, 2007 #3
    I think I get it 'do anything' ,'Zeus' are all prepositions that are logically disconnected

5. Jul 1, 2007 #4
    Its an old philosophical puzzle, but mostly a word game. It has its uses as a thought experiment, so its not trivial, but mainly it shows how nonsensical the idea of omnipotence is.

On the other hand....

Zeus could indeed create a boulder he couldn't lift, but then when he wants to lift it, he could make himself stronger and lift it... as long as Hera didn't make the boulder even heavier when poor old Zeus wasn't looking.

6. Jul 1, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the naive notion of omnipoitence.

7. Jul 1, 2007 #6
    Astronomer and Astrobiologist Carl Sagan made the following analogy about an invisible dragon in his book "The Demon-Haunted World - Science as a candle in the dark", which sums up my points.

What does it mean to say that Zeus can or cannot create a stone heavier than he can life?

8. Jul 1, 2007 #7
    Not sure what you're saying here.

9. Oct 16, 2007 #8
    That's damn true. Why not? after all ,he IS the father of the gods., and I doubt that even Hera could do anything(I could be wrong here - I'm not a greek mythology guru/pundit). And as for dragons - I personally believe that the stories themselves are proof they exist. They may not necessarily live in our dimension, but may have gone to another(dragons are known for their magical prowess), when Christianity came across the globe, and people started hunting and killing them, for example, St.George, by branding them the embodiment of Satan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?