Is this backed up by chemistry or is it a scam?

• Thread starter abudif1997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is about purchasing a reverse osmosis water filter for a home. The seller is trying to sell additional items such as far infrared balls, ceramic balls, and stone balls, claiming that they will improve the water's health benefits. However, the validity of these claims is questioned and the recommendation is to find a more reputable place to purchase the filter.
abudif1997
TL;DR Summary
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for it, but hoping someone can share some chemistry insights on this.

I am about to buy some reverse osmosis water filter for my home. Is this a scam?
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for it, but hoping someone can share some chemistry insights on this.

I am about to buy some reverse osmosis water filter for my home. However the seller is trying to sell me;

Far infrared balls, Mai fan balls, Tourmaline ceramic balls, Alkaline ceramic balls, Orp and magnesium balls, Volcanic rock ball, Antibacterial ceramic ball, Germanium stone balls, Radium stone ball, Muy stone ball, Dechlorination ceramic balls

They are selling me those things, stating that it will improve certain aspects of the water, making it “healthier” for me to drink. Are those things actually backed up by chemistry and do they provide any benefits to the water I drink?

Thank you for your time

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

• Love
Likes dlgoff and Bystander
@abudif1997 -- it is indeed nonsense, and we don't discuss nonsense at PF. Please find a more reputable place to purchase your system. Thread will remain closed.

Note: as opposed to other things you mention, reverse osmosis is a well established, scientifically backed up method of water purification. Whether you really need it, and whether you should buy it from a scammer, is another thing.

Likes russ_watters, jim mcnamara, berkeman and 2 others

1. What does it mean for something to be "backed up by chemistry"?

When something is said to be "backed up by chemistry", it means that it is supported or proven by scientific evidence and principles in the field of chemistry. This could include experiments, data, or theories that have been rigorously tested and verified by the scientific community.

2. How can I determine if a product or claim is based on legitimate chemistry or if it is a scam?

The best way to determine the legitimacy of a product or claim is to research the scientific evidence and studies behind it. Look for reputable sources, such as peer-reviewed journals or government websites, that support the claims being made. Additionally, be cautious of products or claims that seem too good to be true or lack scientific evidence to back them up.

3. Can chemistry be used to deceive or scam people?

Unfortunately, yes. Just like any other field of science, there are individuals or companies who may use chemistry to deceive or scam people. This could involve making false claims about a product's effectiveness or safety, or manipulating data to support their claims. It is important to be critical and do thorough research before believing any claims backed by chemistry.

4. Is chemistry the only factor to consider when determining the legitimacy of a product or claim?

No, chemistry is just one piece of the puzzle. Other factors such as biology, physics, and environmental factors may also play a role in determining the effectiveness or safety of a product or claim. It is important to consider all relevant scientific evidence and not just focus on one aspect.

5. Are there any red flags to look out for when evaluating a product or claim backed by chemistry?

Some red flags to watch out for include exaggerated or unrealistic claims, lack of scientific evidence or studies to support the claims, and endorsements from non-experts. Additionally, be wary of products or claims that are marketed as "secret" or "miraculous" solutions, as these are often used to manipulate consumers. Always do your own research and consult with experts before believing any claims backed by chemistry.

Back