IGCSE: Wire carrying a current in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a cardboard with two holes for wires, a battery, and the movement of a flexible wire. There was a discussion about the direction of the flexible wire's movement, with one person suggesting that the wires would repel each other due to the current flowing in the same direction. However, there was confusion about the marking scheme and whether it was incorrect. The person just wanted a simple confirmation of their solution and did not require an explanation.
Peter G.
Basically there is a cardboard with a small hole for a wire and a large circular hole for another wire. Two wires, one rigid is passed through the small hole and another flexible wire is passed through the large circular hole. A battery is connected to both ends of both wires so that the current flows down in both wires. Then, it asks me in what direction will the flexible wire (in the large circular hole) will move to.

I thought that, since the current is flowing down (in the same direction) in both wires then they would repel each other. But the marking scheme says that the flexible wires moves towards the thick rigid wire.

Could anyone tell me why please?

Thanks,
Peter

P.S (First time using this forum, so I'm not sure if my description of the problem is clear and adequate)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's clear enough

I thought that, since the current is flowing down (in the same direction) in both wires then they would repel each other.

Based on what rules ?

Is it customary of this forum to explain your attempt of solution. Someone will check it.

I didn't understand what you say. I think this is what you mean:

If its customary of this forum to explain solutions... Well I don't know, as I've said, I never used it.

And if you say someone will check it, meaning a teacher, well they are not since I am studying for a test and I'm trying a past paper. I don't have anymore lessons until the day of the test.

Well, I think it is based on the fact that whenever a current is reversed, the field is also reversed. If the current is flowing in the same direction in both wires than they will produce equal magnetic fields that when interact, will repel, not attract.

The reason I put this question here is because I want to know if the marking scheme is possibly wrong. As simple as that. All I need is basically a Yes, you are right, or a no. People don't even need to explain what I got wrong if people don't want to, I will simply research myself if that's the case

What is IGCSE: Wire carrying a current in a magnetic field?

IGCSE stands for International General Certificate of Secondary Education. It is an internationally recognized qualification for secondary school students. In the context of wire carrying a current in a magnetic field, it refers to a topic that is covered in the Physics curriculum at the IGCSE level.

What is the definition of a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field?

A wire carrying a current in a magnetic field refers to a scenario in which an electric current is flowing through a wire that is placed in a magnetic field. This results in a force being exerted on the wire due to the interaction between the current and the magnetic field.

How does a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field work?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. When this wire is placed in an external magnetic field, the two fields interact and a force is exerted on the wire, causing it to move. This phenomenon is known as the motor effect and is the basis for many applications such as electric motors and generators.

What factors affect the force on a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field?

The force on a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field is affected by three main factors: the strength of the external magnetic field, the strength of the current in the wire, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. The greater these factors are, the stronger the force will be.

What are the real-life applications of a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field?

The motor effect, which is the basis for the phenomenon of a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field, has many real-life applications. It is used in electric motors, generators, loudspeakers, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices such as galvanometers and ammeters to measure electric current.