• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

IGCSE: Wire carrying a current in a magnetic field

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
Basically there is a cardboard with a small hole for a wire and a large circular hole for another wire. Two wires, one rigid is passed through the small hole and another flexible wire is passed through the large circular hole. A battery is connected to both ends of both wires so that the current flows down in both wires. Then, it asks me in what direction will the flexible wire (in the large circular hole) will move to.

I thought that, since the current is flowing down (in the same direction) in both wires then they would repel each other. But the marking scheme says that the flexible wires moves towards the thick rigid wire.

Could anyone tell me why please?

Thanks,
Peter

P.S (First time using this forum, so I'm not sure if my description of the problem is clear and adequate)

Answers and Replies

It's clear enough

I thought that, since the current is flowing down (in the same direction) in both wires then they would repel each other.
Based on what rules ?

Is it customary of this forum to explain your attempt of solution. Someone will check it.

I didn't understand what you say. I think this is what you mean:

If its customary of this forum to explain solutions... Well I don't know, as I've said, I never used it.

And if you say someone will check it, meaning a teacher, well they are not since Im studying for a test and I'm trying a past paper. I don't have anymore lessons until the day of the test.

Well, I think it is based on the fact that whenever a current is reversed, the field is also reversed. If the current is flowing in the same direction in both wires than they will produce equal magnetic fields that when interact, will repel, not attract.

The reason I put this question here is because I want to know if the marking scheme is possibly wrong. As simple as that. All I need is basically a Yes, you are right, or a no. People don't even need to explain what I got wrong if people don't want to, I will simply research myself if that's the case