Iinterference in thin films due to reflected light

It is a theorem in Euclidean geometry that states that if two angles are less than 90 degrees and their sides are mutually perpendicular, then the angles are equal. In this case, the angle of incidence, angle of reflection, and angle of refraction are all equal to each other, and are also equal to the angle ACN. This is due to the law of reflection and the fact that line QA is perpendicular to AC and line AT is perpendicular to NC. Therefore, the angle of incidence can be any of these angles and they will all be equal.
logearav

Homework Statement

dear revered members,
please find the attached image for the topic interference in thin films due to relection.

Homework Equations

my questions are
1) angle between the incident ray or reflected ray or refracted ray is called angle of incidence, angle of reflection and angle of refraction, as the case needs. so <AON is angle of incidence. how <ACN is angle of incidence? because CN is normal line and AC IS POINT OF CONTACT, then how it is angle of incidence?
is there any geometry involcd in it?
ANY HELP IN THIS REGARD WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, REVERED MEMBERS

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a theorem in Euclidean geometry that says that if two angles are less than 90o and their sides are mutually perpendicular, then the angles are equal. Label the top of the dotted line that is perpendicular to the interface as Q. Then angle SAQ is equal to QAT by the law of reflection. Note that line QA is perpendicular to AC and line AT is perpendicular to line NC.

sir, i understood the concept. but, in my attachment SA is incident ray and NA is the normal, so <SAN is angle of incidence. but, NC is normal to AT and CQ. <i is between AC and CN. how can it be termed as angle of incidence. because both AT and CQ, according to my attachment are reflected rays or transmitted rays. so they should be <r. Why <i there?

I am not disputing that SA is the incident ray. The angle of incidence is SAI. This angle in degrees is equal to the reflection angle INT in degrees and also equal to angle ACN in degrees. I never said that ACN is the angle of incidence; I said it is equal to the angle of incidence in degrees. Do you see the difference?

thanks you sir. but on what basis they are equal? adjacent angles? alternate angles? or something else.

kuruman said:
Yes, there is a theorem in Euclidean geometry that says that if two angles are less than 90o and their sides are mutually perpendicular, then the angles are equal. Label the top of the dotted line that is perpendicular to the interface as Q. Then angle SAQ is equal to QAT by the law of reflection. Note that line QA is perpendicular to AC and line AT is perpendicular to line NC.

They are equal on the basis shown above.

1. What is interference in thin films due to reflected light?

Interference in thin films due to reflected light is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the surfaces of thin films, such as soap bubbles or oil slicks. When the reflected light waves interact with each other, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in a pattern of light and dark bands.

2. How does interference in thin films affect the appearance of objects?

The interference of light in thin films can cause objects to appear to have different colors or to exhibit a rainbow-like effect. This is because the different wavelengths of light interfere with each other to produce these colors and patterns.

3. What causes interference in thin films?

Interference in thin films is caused by the difference in the refractive index of the thin film material and the surrounding medium. When light waves travel from one medium to another, they are bent or refracted at the interface. This bending of light can lead to constructive or destructive interference.

4. How can interference in thin films be controlled or manipulated?

The interference in thin films can be controlled by changing the thickness of the film, the angle of incidence of the light, or the wavelength of the light. This can be done by using techniques such as thin film deposition, which allows for precise control of the film thickness, or by using polarizers to manipulate the angle of incidence and wavelength of the light.

5. What applications does interference in thin films have?

Interference in thin films has a wide range of applications, including optical coatings for lenses and mirrors, anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses, and color effects in products such as cosmetics and paints. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and interferometers, which use thin film interference to measure and analyze light.