1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IIT-B Engineering Physics or IISc BS?

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    Hello all.
    I am interested in Physics and have the above mentioned offers.
    Which one should I go to? Given that, I am not 100% sure whether I will be doing research in theoretical physics. But yes, Research in the lines of Physics is certain.
    So? IIT -B Engineering Physics or IISc Banglore?
    Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    Check out the syllabus of IIT-B's Engineering Physics course, from what I remember this course focuses more on engineering subjects and physics as a tool for it on the other hand the BS course of course is in the field of basic science. Check the syllabus for both and see which appeals to you more. In either case, for are great colleges so a ton of congrats! I would, literally, have killed to have such a choice.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    I wouldnt "kill"(The fact that there exists a choice which is hard to decide). The EP course has a decent amount of physics. BS,naturally,does. So, I cant choose by looking at the course directly. My priority comes down to admission in Top Univs(US or Europe) for PG in a branch,could be theoretical or something else in Physics.

5. Jul 12, 2012 #4
    Hmm, well basically the EP course will have several subjects like networks and systems, analog circuits, etc. so as long as your interest is within *basic* science be it Physics or some branch of Physics I would suggest going for the BS course. Firstly, EP is still a bit diverted from a full physics course, secondly IISC's BS curriculum is very versatile and resembles the method followed in US universities more so than any other course in India. This makes me think a BS from IISC would make a better profile for admission into a PG course in a branch of Physics. Also, this course attracts some of the brightest students who are interested in sciences.

However if you are more inclined towards research in *engineering* oriented fields like electronics, etc. then the EP course would make a more suitable profile.

6. Jul 13, 2012 #5
    Actually, the curriculum of ep in bombay has only one engineering course (introduction to electric circuits and systems) and the rest is physics. The physics taught is almost identical. (I too have the same choices)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook