Im 12 and want to learn quantum and astrophysics

In summary: Always use that freedom!In summary, the individual does not have good science and math teachers but has developed an interest in planets and quantum mechanics. They have started having dreams about looking up at the sky and seeing Saturn and Mars, which has sparked a desire to learn more. They are unsure about where to start and are seeking advice. The recommendation is to focus on getting good grades in school but also to explore subjects outside of the regular curriculum, such as reading books about planets and using resources like Wikipedia to learn about physics and mathematics. It is also suggested to stay curious and take advantage of the freedom to learn about topics that interest them.
logan merriman
my science and math teachers arent that good i have started to like planets and the idea of quantum mechanics I've been having dreams of me looking up at the sky and seeing saturn and Mars its making me want to learn more where do i start?

Physics news on Phys.org
logan merriman said:
my science and math teachers arent that good i have started to like planets and the idea of quantum mechanics I've been having dreams of me looking up at the sky and seeing saturn and Mars its making me want to learn more where do i start?

hi and welcome to PF :smile:

getting good marks at school so that you can advance on to university will be the best course of action

Likes Faiq
Where are you at? I would try to avoid learning what's next at school. It would probably improve your grades but will make you feel bored which is never a good idea when learning something. Of course you can always read books on night skies or planets. Wikipedia alone offers many data at no extra costs, and the scientific part is usually pretty good, i.e. not biased. At least as physics and mathematics is concerned. There are no hidden interests like in their political or pharmaceutical sections. Nobody wants to cheat about the life cycle of stars or the properties of functions.

To reach your goals, you will need a mathematical foundation. Usually trigonometry, polynomial functions, differentiation and integration will be part of lessons at school, at least their basics. Without crossing the usual curriculum too much, I would suggest to learn some linear algebra, maybe a bit topology, and add further contents to what you will learn at school. This way you can get the foundations needed, and simultaneously extend them to a more advanced level. My suggestion would be to come back and ask the guys here, what those extensions are corresponding to your regular stuff. PF is also a good source when it comes to the often hidden fundamental rules and mechanisms behind the exercises.

The best advise is always: Stay curious! At your age you probably still have the luxury to simply learn what interests you the most.

Likes QuantumQuest

1. How can I start learning about quantum and astrophysics at age 12?

There are many resources available for young aspiring scientists to learn about quantum and astrophysics. You can start by reading books, watching educational videos, and attending science camps or workshops. It's also helpful to have a strong foundation in math and science courses in school.

2. What are some key concepts to understand in quantum and astrophysics?

Some key concepts to understand in quantum and astrophysics include the principles of quantum mechanics, the laws of thermodynamics, and the theories of general and special relativity. It's also important to have a good understanding of concepts such as energy, matter, and space-time.

3. Can I study quantum and astrophysics on my own or do I need a teacher?

While having a teacher or mentor can be beneficial, it is possible to study quantum and astrophysics on your own. With the wealth of information available online and in books, you can learn a lot independently. However, it's always helpful to have someone to discuss your ideas and questions with.

4. What are some potential career paths in quantum and astrophysics?

There are many exciting career paths in quantum and astrophysics, such as research scientist, astrophysicist, quantum engineer, or professor. You could also use your knowledge in these fields to pursue careers in fields such as computer science, engineering, or finance.

5. How can I stay motivated and continue learning about quantum and astrophysics?

It's important to remember that learning about quantum and astrophysics is a lifelong journey. To stay motivated, try to find a community of like-minded individuals, attend lectures or conferences, and keep up with current research in the field. It's also helpful to set goals and track your progress as you continue to learn and grow.