Which course should I take? (General/Special Relativity or Astrophysics)

In summary, Vitany1 is considering going into astrophysics after graduating from college. She is worried that the required courses are too easy, but she is intrigued by the field. She is also considering the field of relativity.
Vitani1
I'm about to be a senior in the physics program. I can choose General/Special Relativity or Astrophysics. The astrophysics course is not as intensive - the GR/SR course requires mechanics and is more math-savvy. I've been doing some modeling with Lagrangian mechanics for star systems etc. and I've found anything having to do with gravity and stars/planets fascinating (for the most part). I don't know a single thing about GR/SR except some basic lorentz transformations and such. What would you do? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was 20, I will always remember: I was in doubt whether to eat a snack or wait at lunchtime: my best friend stared at me and asked me: what do you want? I said: "A snack".
What do I mean? You are the only one who knows the answer.
I will give my choice, if I was in your place: Relativity. Why? First of all I confess you I'm an absolute beginner in physics, but I think that first of all, the first lesson to take before learning astrophysics, is to learn SR, and then GR. But this will not help you; it shouldn't. I hope so.
Vitany1, it's a poor answer; I'm sorry:cry:. Hope someone more wise than me answers you. Greetings!

What is your plan after graduation? That should provide some clue as to what is more important. If your plan does not include anything related to astrophysics or GR then I guess it is a tossup.

I am thinking about graduate school in astrophysics. I'm afraid this astro course is plug and chug (the required courses don't exceed something like calculus two and a general physics course) so even if I was interested in the field I don't know if it would be worth my time at this point. If you've ever played world of warcraft it's like when your enemy's name becomes grey because you are a higher level but their could still be some nice loot. I think I might go with SR/GR.

Likes mcastillo356
Go for it. The astrophysics course may be basically descriptive which you might more easily pick up on your own vis-a-vis GR.

I am a PhD candidate that does research in relativity, and I took a similar astrophysics class during undergrad (in terms of requirements, only calculus two and modern physics was required!) and at the time I had a similar opinion of it being a waste. EDIT: The book we used was "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostile just so you can compare to your own course.

Of all my undergraduate classes, that's the one I remember the most from. It presented information in easily digestible chunks that I was able to tell my friends and family members some cool facts about stars that I still share to this day, and that I attempt to use on children to keep them interested in science when I tutor math once in a while. My undergraduate GR course, however, left a lot to be desired. The rigor just wasn't there, and I suspect that would be the case for a lot of them.

But, I guess without real course descriptions and books, we can only speculate (as I did above), so always talk to your academic advisor if you haven't.

This astrophysics book is also the book I would be using. I'm just worried about getting stuck in a class where I'm plug and chugging all day and not doing anything useful. Thank you for your feedback. I have ~5 days until school stars so there exists some time to choose.

1. What is the difference between general relativity and astrophysics?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that describes the curvature of space and time caused by mass and energy. It is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the motion of objects in the universe. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the study of the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. Which course would be more beneficial for a career in astronomy?

Both general relativity and astrophysics are important for a career in astronomy. However, if you are interested in studying the fundamental principles of gravity and the structure of the universe, then general relativity would be a better choice. If you are more interested in studying the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, then astrophysics would be more beneficial.

3. Is a background in mathematics necessary for these courses?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for both general relativity and astrophysics. These courses involve complex mathematical concepts, such as calculus, differential equations, and tensor analysis. It is recommended to have a good understanding of these concepts before taking these courses.

4. Which course would be more challenging?

This can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Generally, general relativity is considered to be more mathematically challenging, while astrophysics may involve more observational and experimental work. Both courses require a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, so it is important to choose the course that aligns with your strengths and interests.

5. Can I take both courses simultaneously?

It is possible to take both general relativity and astrophysics courses at the same time, but it may be more challenging due to the heavy workload and complex concepts. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics before attempting to take both courses simultaneously. It is also important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you have enough time and resources to successfully complete both courses.