• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I'm a college freshman and looking for some REUs that I would have a

• Schools
  • Thread starter WhiteRae
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm a college freshman and looking for some REUs that I would have a decent chance to get accepted into. I know it is really hard to get accepted as a freshman but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything or had any suggestions. I'm looking for astrophysics or particle physics mainly but I would be interested in any physics or astronomy programs.

Answers and Replies

eri

Your best bet would be to find someone at your own college willing to take you on for the summer. Many of your professors will have research projects that undergrads can participate in. They'll be more likely to take you on since you're at their own school, they might even be able to pay you, and you'll get some valuable research experience so that when you apply for REUs next year you'll be in a much better position to get one. REU mentors prefer students with some previous exposure to research and who made use of the opportunities at their own school before going elsewhere. Plus a research adviser can write you a much better letter of recommendation than a class professor.