Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm a homesteader/prepper ask me anything

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    this is a offshoot of a thread on the debunking forum that was frozen(bows head in silence).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=510194"

I didn't use the term survivalist in the title because I personally despise it. People look at survivalists as being pessimistic and hoping for the world to end. That is totally the opposite of the truth. We want to thrive and prosper and see our neighbors and communities thrive no matter what the challenge. Yes there are some people of the mindset that are on the fringe as the same in all groups. For the record I was contacted by the producers for the show about being on it and declined for the fact that I felt it would shed a bad light on our group. Seems my fears were realized.

*disclaimer* I am not talking for everyone in the homesteading/prepper/survivalist lifestyle. I am just giving my experience and opinion

anywho, evo said I could make a thread here as long as it doesn't deal with doomsday scenarios, so that's a no no.

I have to go feed and water the animals, I'll check back on this later, peace

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Tell us what you've done.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This could be an interesting thread. :smile:

What events are you preparing for, and what did you do to prepare for them?
    Are there other preppers in your area that you cooperate with? (I guess it could be difficult doing all of this things alone)
    How much of your monthly budget goes to prepping? Do you have much left?

I'm genuinly interested and I would love to learn more about this.

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

Evo

Is this a mostly American thing? micro do people in your country have preppers, that are not Americans, or from an American based group?

I know that turbo says he can't find me a man unless I can bring down a moose, dress it in the field, carry everything back to his house fresh and clean, then chop and stack 2 cords of wood, and I need an outboard motor. I already have the other necessary skills to be a real woman including chopping and stacking wood. I don't have the motor though.

I think the moose would look cute dressed in a camouflage outfit.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. Jun 30, 2011 #5
    one thing i'm curious about, since you say homesteader instead of survivalist, is what your typical living expenses look like. how frugal are you? many of the people on NatGeo seemed to be of the, shall we say, "hobbyist" variety. homesteading is something i've typically associated with people making the most of sweat equity, and not so much the people with more money than they really need and are just bored.

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

While searching on the internet I did encounter some "prepping in Europe" sites. But somehow, I think it's more popular in America. Not sure why that is, probably because there are less disasters here (no hurricane, tornadoes, blizzards,etc.) The emergency services also seem to be better structured, schandals like Katrina don't seem to happen here).

Preppers have also assured that this is not about fear. But maybe prepping is popular in america because the media instill more fear in people then European media?? Just a thought.

Another question for the OP: what knowledge do you have? Do you try to learn a lot?
    For example, if I were a prepper, I would immediately buy some books on medicine and try to learn from them. I think knowing some first aid should not be enough...

8. Jun 30, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also, how many people know that you're a prepper? Do you keep it secret because you're scared of their reaction, or do you talk openly about it?

So you have a family, and how do they think about it? Did you have to convince them or did they think the same way you do?

9. Jun 30, 2011 #8

berkeman

I seem to remember something about a chainsaw, though.... :wink:

10. Jun 30, 2011 #9

Evo

I've always homesteaded my house in states that allowed it because of the tax break and/or no one can put a lien on your home. You cannot homestead in all states. Not the same as homesteading is squatting land. If someone owns land and does not make improvements, and you get on their land and make improvements and aren't discovered for a period of time (around 2 years usually), you can claim the part of land you have improved. Obviously there are a lot of *gotchas* on this one, you have to do research before you attempt to squat.

11. Jun 30, 2011 #10

Evo

No, turbo decided I could not be allowed near a chainsaw, for obvious reasons. I believe MIH is allowed a chainsaw. :frown:

12. Jun 30, 2011 #11
    to broad of a question, I could write a book based off that ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. Jun 30, 2011 #12

Evo

That's what people tell me.

So start with how you got into this and go from there.

14. Jun 30, 2011 #13
    yeah, but were you into this: http://www.countrysidemag.com/

every own any Firefox books, or stuff like that?

15. Jun 30, 2011 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a pepper. I didn't know we were into homesteading now as a group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U

16. Jun 30, 2011 #15
    the biggest concern I see is socio-economic collapse(is that ok evo)

I know alot of people in the immediate area of the same mindset, most are former military or LEO

prepping is my families lifestyle, I concur with a couple of points on the show, I don't golf ect. I prefer to spend time in my garden, go to the shooting range, spend time with my animals ect.

17. Jun 30, 2011 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good question! How did you come to the decision to start prepping, and why?

18. Jun 30, 2011 #17
    no, I have talked with people worldwide, it's just a different label depending on where you live

19. Jun 30, 2011 #18

turbo

Gold Member

MIH is allowed access to a powerful 2-stroke chain-saw. Evo is not!! There are some strict rules. The hooper has exhibited some coordination and training. The Evo is an accident waiting to happen!

20. Jun 30, 2011 #19
    my wife and I built a earth bermed passive solar home with us doing about 85-90 percent of the work. We use a half cord of wood a year to heat it, and about 10 gallons of propane a month for the dryer, stove and on demand hot water heater. We cashed out our meager retirement and owe nothing on the house. Our household expenses are minimal.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  21. Jun 30, 2011 #20

Evo

Ok, we'll pretend that's a concern that would cause whatever it is you think it would cause that and would mean that there would be no more functioning world, and just go from there.

We have a lot of former military and gun people here, they've never admitted to being preppers, maybe we'll find out.

That sounds like us. Except our international members where guns are illegal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook