Im Despret. Grade 12 Physics Question. PLEASE HELP

In summary, Arliena is taking physics 12 university and she is failing the first test. She needs help and her parents cannot afford to get her a tutor. She asked a question and then provided a summary of the conversation.
Arliena
Hello, I am new. I am soo despret. I want to become an Architect but I'm dumb. I aws doing fine getting 84% in physics university 11, but now, I am taking physics 12 university and I don't get the answers right 65% of the time. I am so despret for help. My parents cannot afford to get me a tutor. At least half of my classmates gets nice marks on the test, but I am soo stupid that i failed the first test. And yes, I did do all my homework. I feel soo stupid its ridiculous. I need serious help.

Question 1) Block A and B are connected by a string passing an essentially frictionless pulley. When the blocks are in motion, Block A experiences a force of kinetic friction of magnitude 5.7N. If Ma= 2.7kg and Mb=3.7kg, calculate the magnitude of

a) The acceleration of the blocks
b) The tension in the string.

I have one more question but i think I am asking too much. PLEASE HELP.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
Your question gives inadequate information, whether blocks are on a table or not. But from the available data, it is reasonable to assume that block A is on a table, block B is hanging around the pulley - those are my assumptions.
Under my assumptions, look at the block A first. There is friction(f) and tension(T) in the string. This gives: T - f = Ma*a ___________ 1
Again, look at the block B. There is its weight, Mb*g and tension. This gives:
Mb*g - T = Mb*a __________ 2
Here the two tensions for A and B are equal because the pulley has no friction and acceleration of A and B are equal because they move together - there is no relative velocity between those two.
Solving 1 and 2 gives both tension and acceleration.
Good luck with your studies, Arliena.
Thanks

Hello, Thank you SOO mch for your reply! I am very sorry for my poor discription. And yes, you're right. The block A is on the table. However, I don't understand how i can get the acceleration by using (MB)(g)-T=(MB)(A) because i don't know both Acceleration and the Tension. The texbook says the Answers are:

A) 4.8m/s*2
B) 19N

but I don't know how you got them.
3978375339_36c5754d0d.jpg

Last edited:
hi there
In the first eq, you know friction and mass of A. For the second eq, you know mass of B and g. This gives you a two simultaneous eq's in two unknowns which I think is easy enough to solve. You have two eq's, not one.

I got them by separately using Newton's second law for each block.
net force = mass times acceleration

Hello, Thanks again for your reply! I tried for A) using (MB)(g)-T=(MB)(A)
(3.7)(9.8)down-(5.7)=(3.7)(a) to (3.7)(9.8)/(3.7) - 5.7 Since 3.7 cancel, I am left with 9.8-5.7 but that doesn't give me 4.8 m/s*2 , it gives me 4.1

hi there again,
T - f = Ma*a __________ 1
Mb*g - T = Mb*a ______ 2
Add 1 and 2, you get: Mb*g - f = (Ma + Mb)a
Plug in everything except a, and you get exactly 4.775
Plug in the value of a in any of the two eq's.

WOW I didn't know that. Seriously... these questions look soo hard but then its simple. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. You don't understand how much you've helped me. Bless you.

1. What is "Im Despret"?

"Im Despret" is a common misspelling of the phrase "I'm desperate". It is most likely a typo or mistake made by the person asking the question.

2. What does "Grade 12 Physics Question" refer to?

"Grade 12 Physics Question" refers to a question or problem related to the subject of physics that is typically encountered by students in their 12th year of schooling.

3. Can you provide more context or information about the question?

Without more specific information, it is difficult to provide a thorough answer. It would be helpful to know what specific topic or concept the question is about, as well as any relevant equations or given information.

4. How can I solve this question or problem?

The best way to solve a physics question or problem is to first identify what is being asked and what information is given. Then, use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. Where can I find more resources or help for "Im Despret. Grade 12 Physics Question"?

There are many online resources and study guides available for Grade 12 Physics students. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for help, or seek out a tutor or study group. It is important to practice and understand the concepts rather than just memorizing equations.