1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im Despret. Grade 12 Physics Question. PLEASE HELP

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    Hello, Im new. Im soo despret. I want to become an Architect but I'm dumb. I aws doing fine getting 84% in physics university 11, but now, im taking physics 12 university and I don't get the answers right 65% of the time. Im so despret for help. My parents cannot afford to get me a tutor. At least half of my classmates gets nice marks on the test, but Im soo stupid that i failed the first test. And yes, I did do all my homework. I feel soo stupid its ridiculous. I need serious help.

Question 1) Block A and B are connected by a string passing an essentially frictionless pulley. When the blocks are in motion, Block A experiences a force of kinetic friction of magnitude 5.7N. If Ma= 2.7kg and Mb=3.7kg, calculate the magnitude of

a) The acceleration of the blocks
    b) The tension in the string.

I have one more question but i think im asking too much. PLEASE HELP.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    hi there
    Your question gives inadequate information, whether blocks are on a table or not. But from the available data, it is reasonable to assume that block A is on a table, block B is hanging around the pulley - those are my assumptions.
    Under my assumptions, look at the block A first. There is friction(f) and tension(T) in the string. This gives: T - f = Ma*a ___________ 1
    Again, look at the block B. There is its weight, Mb*g and tension. This gives:
    Mb*g - T = Mb*a __________ 2
    Here the two tensions for A and B are equal because the pulley has no friction and acceleration of A and B are equal because they move together - there is no relative velocity between those two.
    Solving 1 and 2 gives both tension and acceleration.
    Good luck with your studies, Arliena.
    Thanks

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    Hello, Thank you SOO mch for your reply! Im very sorry for my poor discription. And yes, you're right. The block A is on the table. However, I don't understand how i can get the acceleration by using (MB)(g)-T=(MB)(A) because i don't know both Acceleration and the Tension. The texbook says the Answers are:

A) 4.8m/s*2
    B) 19N

but I don't know how you got them. 3978375339_36c5754d0d.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  5. Oct 3, 2009 #4
    hi there
    In the first eq, you know friction and mass of A. For the second eq, you know mass of B and g. This gives you a two simultaneous eq's in two unknowns which I think is easy enough to solve. You have two eq's, not one.

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5
    I got them by separately using Newton's second law for each block.
    net force = mass times acceleration

7. Oct 3, 2009 #6
    Hello, Thanks again for your reply! I tried for A) using (MB)(g)-T=(MB)(A)
    (3.7)(9.8)down-(5.7)=(3.7)(a) to (3.7)(9.8)/(3.7) - 5.7 Since 3.7 cancel, Im left with 9.8-5.7 but that doesnt give me 4.8 m/s*2 , it gives me 4.1

8. Oct 3, 2009 #7
    hi there again,
    T - f = Ma*a __________ 1
    Mb*g - T = Mb*a ______ 2
    Add 1 and 2, you get: Mb*g - f = (Ma + Mb)a
    Plug in everything except a, and you get exactly 4.775
    Plug in the value of a in any of the two eq's.

9. Oct 4, 2009 #8
    WOW I didn't know that. Seriously... these questions look soo hard but then its simple. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. You don't understand how much you've helped me. Bless you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook