I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but

• Thread starter wScott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: They use their knowledge of math and science to solve problems and create practical solutions for everyday life. They can work in various fields such as designing machines, managing production processes, and ensuring the safety and functionality of structures. However, it's important to note that not everyone who calls themselves an engineer actually has the proper training and qualifications. Overall, engineering is a broad and diverse field that requires both technical expertise and creativity to make the world a better place.
wScott
What exactly is engineering. Before I thought it was just stuff like fixing machine's and things like that, but now I know I'm totally wrong with that conclusion.

A teacher at my school has a major in engineering, so I could ask him. but if you guys could help me out that would be great also :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
A locomotive operator. have a look in wiki

Among other things, engineers typically design machines.

Engineers do a lot of different things. Engineers can be designers, analysts or managers. In other environments like in production facilities, engineers can design and oversee the production processes. There are a lot of "engineers" that really aren't, but their company gives them or they give themselves the title to make them seem more important. And sometimes, they can just be plain paper pushers. I know it sounds very vague, but the title really does encompass a lot of different positions.

As Fred mentioned, you have to take a close look at what a person actually does, and what his/her training is, to determine if that's the proper title. For instance, the 'Sanitation Engineer' who picks up your garbage every week probably doesn't have a degree from MIT.

My understanding of engineering is that it is a knowledge of basic applied physics. Stresses, momentum, hydraulics, mecahnics, heat exchange - etc etc. all the things that make the world we live in operate.

Engineers ensure that bridges can withstand stresses, that pistons in backhoes can lift tons of dirt, that buildings withstand winds, that breakwalls withstand waves, etc.

I've always liked this definition:

Someone who uses their imagination, scientific principles, and technical experience to solve a problem within economic constraints.

Obviously it's a bit ambiguous, but pretty much every product you see around you has been engineered.

Well, I guess when asking what engineering is, it's like asking how many colours of green there are, quite a lot :p

Thanks for the multiple definitions. And brewnog, I like your definition the most, it sounds philosophical to me :)

"Engineering is the profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences, gained by study, experience, and practice, is applied with judgement to develop ways utilize, economically, the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind" As defined by ABET (the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
It can also be defined as an activity:
"An innovative and methodical appplication of scientific knowledge and technology to produce a device, system or process, which is intended to satisfy human need(s)"

Do most of you consider computer engineering to be a valid branch of engineering?

Yes, I consider Computer Engg - which is not Computer Science - to be an area of engineering. It too is an application of more fundamental sciences, namely Computer Science, Math and Physics.

wScott said:
What exactly is engineering. Before I thought it was just stuff like fixing machine's and things like that, but now I know I'm totally wrong with that conclusion.

A teacher at my school has a major in engineering, so I could ask him. but if you guys could help me out that would be great also :)

Read this :
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=577714&postcount=7

Engineers are like scientists, except they make money.

What does "I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but" mean?

"I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but" is a phrase commonly used when someone is about to ask a question that they feel may be perceived as foolish or obvious.

Why do people use the phrase "I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but"?

People may use this phrase to acknowledge their own insecurities or to preemptively defend themselves against potential criticism for asking a question that may seem obvious or silly.

Is it okay to use the phrase "I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but" in a professional setting?

Using this phrase in a professional setting may not be the most appropriate or confident way to ask a question. It is important to feel comfortable and confident in asking questions without feeling the need to apologize or discredit oneself.

Why do some people perceive asking questions as a sign of weakness or stupidity?

This perception may stem from societal pressures to appear knowledgeable and competent at all times. However, asking questions is a crucial part of learning and gaining knowledge, and should not be seen as a weakness.

How can I overcome my fear of sounding like an idiot when asking questions?

Remember that asking questions is a sign of curiosity and a desire to learn. It is also important to create a safe and supportive environment where questions are encouraged and valued. Additionally, try to reframe your thoughts and focus on the value of the question rather than the fear of sounding silly.