How is the damping of sound (over distance) affected by air properties?

In summary: It sounds like you have some basic knowledge about sound waves and propagation, but you're looking for a more specific formula to describe a particular set of circumstances. If you can provide more information about what you're trying to achieve, and the specific circumstances you're dealing with, I might be able to help. In summary, Daan is looking for a formula that describes the relation between the attenuation of sound, the distance from the source and the humidity of the air. Sophie is unsure of where to start looking for a formula, but suggests looking for one on ResearchGate.
daanisrael
TL;DR Summary
I want to compare measurement results with theoretical values of a sound measurement. I'm looking for a formula that describes the relation between the humidity of the air, the frequency of the sound and the distance the sound travels.
Hey all,

For my physics major I need to quantify the acoustic effect of sunfields. I'm trying to do this by measuring the sound level before and after a sunfield, and after that by measuring a comparable situation, only without a sunfield. By comparing the results of the two measurements I'll find out what the acoustic effect of the sunfield is, but I have no way of verifying the results.

These are the results:
1670502388197.png

The Rion graphs are at the backside of the measurement setup, the BK is at the frontside. As you can see, there is clearly a difference in the sound level at the front- and backside of the situation (both with and without the sunfield). This is expected, but I'd like to calculate how much it specifically differs from the theoretical value. This way I can validate the accuracy of my measurement, and also tell a bit more about the hypothesis vs. the outcome.

I'd like a formula that describes the relation between the humidity of the air, the frequency of the sound, the distance between the source and reciever and the attenuation of the sound. I've looked everywhere on internet, even asked my teachers and accompanist, but with no succes. I know there has to be a formula out there, but I can't find one that applies to my situation.

Do any of you know such a formula? Could you maybe help me with it?

Thanks in advance,Daan Israël

Attachments

• 1670502375811.png
    1670502375811.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
@daanisrael hi and welcome to PF.

I haven't heard of "sunfield" and a Google search seemed only to yield commercial names. Can you post a suitable link to explain what it is?
Also, the losses in sound propagation are fairly complicated. If you want to correct for you particular conditions, why not use any data you have and make a look-up table, rather than trying to fit a mathematical formula to your data?

Likes russ_watters
What is a sunfield? I couldn't find that on the internet. In case you haven't seen it, this Wikipedia article provides a good starting point to guide your thinking.

sophiecentaur said:
@daanisrael hi and welcome to PF.

I haven't heard of "sunfield" and a Google search seemed only to yield commercial names. Can you post a suitable link to explain what it is?
Also, the losses in sound propagation are fairly complicated. If you want to correct for you particular conditions, why not use any data you have and make a look-up table, rather than trying to fit a mathematical formula to your data?
kuruman said:
What is a sunfield? I couldn't find that on the internet. In case you haven't seen it, this Wikipedia article provides a good starting point to guide your thinking.
Hey,

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that a sunfield was a known concept, but it's not. The correct name is a solarfield, excuse me for my ambiguity.

The translation of the Dutch "zonneveld" to English as "sun field", may be referring to a PV solar farm, or a solar power generation array?

Likes daanisrael
So where are we now? What is the actual question?

sophiecentaur said:
So where are we now? What is the actual question?
Hey Sophie,

The question is as follows: is there a formula that describes the relation between the attenuation of sound, the distance from the source and the humidity of the air?

note: I've left out the frequency because that will be a problem for another day.

I can understand that it's vague, I hope it's clear this way.

Greetings,

Daan

daanisrael said:
The question is as follows: is there a formula that describes the relation between the attenuation of sound, the distance from the source and the humidity of the air?
Would https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328383226_ATMOSPHERIC_EFFECTS_ON_SOUND_WAVES_PROPAGATION be of any help?

1. How does air temperature affect the damping of sound over distance?

Air temperature affects the damping of sound over distance by influencing the speed of sound. As air temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in less damping over distance. This is because the sound waves travel faster through warmer air, allowing them to maintain their intensity for a longer distance.

2. What role does air humidity play in the damping of sound over distance?

Air humidity affects the damping of sound over distance by altering the density of the air. Higher humidity levels result in denser air, which causes more absorption of sound energy and therefore more damping over distance. This is because the water molecules in humid air absorb sound waves, reducing their intensity as they travel.

3. How does air pressure impact the damping of sound over distance?

Air pressure affects the damping of sound over distance by affecting the speed of sound. As air pressure increases, the speed of sound also increases, leading to less damping over distance. This is because higher air pressure results in denser air, allowing sound waves to travel faster and maintain their intensity for a longer distance.

4. What is the relationship between air density and the damping of sound over distance?

Air density and the damping of sound over distance are inversely related. As air density increases, the damping of sound over distance also increases. This is because denser air absorbs more sound energy, resulting in a decrease in sound intensity as it travels through the air.

5. How does the composition of air affect the damping of sound over distance?

The composition of air, specifically the presence of gases such as carbon dioxide and ozone, can affect the damping of sound over distance. These gases can absorb sound energy, resulting in more damping over distance. However, their impact is minimal compared to other factors such as air temperature and humidity.