How is the sound horizon at recombination and BAO measured in the CMB?

In summary, the sound horizon measured at recombination is about 0.14 Mpc, while the sound horizon measured with BAO is around 0.45 Mpc. Both horizons are essentially the same size, varying by only a little. The angular size of the sound horizon measured with BAO is 1 degree, which is constant as the universe expands. The size of temperature fluctuations in the CMB is compared to theory, and deviations are observed.
jordy1113
So I'm trying to understand the sound horizon measured at recombination and the sound horizon measured with BAO. Here is what I've gathered (PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong and if you could please explain, I've been trying to read but can't find a clear explanation):

~r(z*) is measured using CMB (could someone explain to me exactly how this is measured) at z*=1100 (recombination epoch)
~ r using BAO can be measured from the drag epoch to very very small redshifts
~ both sound horizons are basically the same (around 140Mpc, yes I know they're not exactly the same but they vary only a little)

Again if someone could explain how these are measure (like why choose angular size of 1 degree for r(z*)) I really need to clear up my confusion :( Thank you to everyone in advance

Space news on Phys.org
The experts seem to have vacated the premises, so you're stuck with me. My understanding is incomplete, though.

With that disclaimer - You get 1 degree as your base scale from theoretical considerations. You calculate the physical size of the sound horizon at recombination (r, about 0.14 Mpc, or 0.45 Mly, which is 150 Mpc in comoving terms). This gives you an idea of how big the largest 'bubble' leaving imprint on the CMB should be. You then calculate the proper distance from the observer to the CMB at recombination (R, about 45 Mly), so that you can relate the physical size to its observed size. Using small angle approximation, you get the angular size by dividing r/R, which netts about 1 degree. As the universe expands, this angular size remains constant.

You can then measure the size of the temperature fluctuations in the CMB to see how they compare to theory. E.g. a deviation here would suggest the geometry of the universe being different than the assumed flat one.

I have no hands-on experience with actually measuring these, nor have I seen it done.
I suspect it's done with some sort of statistical analysis across the whole sky, rather than taking a ruler to any single fluctuation, considering how messy it all is.

Likes jordy1113

1. What is the Sound Horizon Scale?

The Sound Horizon Scale is a musical theory that categorizes songs based on their lyrical and musical themes. It was created by the Japanese composer Revo and is often used in his band Sound Horizon's albums.

2. How does the Sound Horizon Scale work?

The Sound Horizon Scale is divided into seven categories, each representing a different stage in a person's life. These stages are: Chronicle (birth), Thanatos (childhood), Elysion (adolescence), Nemesis (adulthood), Roman (midlife crisis), Sanctuary (old age), and Lost (death). Each category has its own musical and lyrical characteristics, and songs are placed in a category based on their themes.

3. What is "Sound Horizon Scale Confusion"?

"Sound Horizon Scale Confusion" refers to the confusion or disagreement among fans and critics about which category a particular song should be placed in. This is often due to the complexity and ambiguity of the themes in Sound Horizon's music, leading to different interpretations and opinions.

4. Can a song belong to more than one category in the Sound Horizon Scale?

Yes, it is possible for a song to have themes that fit into multiple categories in the Sound Horizon Scale. This can add to the confusion and debate among fans and critics, as different listeners may interpret the themes differently.

5. Is the Sound Horizon Scale a widely accepted theory in the music world?

No, the Sound Horizon Scale is not a widely accepted theory in the music world. It is a unique concept created by Revo and is mainly used in the music of Sound Horizon. While some fans and critics find it interesting and useful in understanding the band's music, others may not agree with its categorization and application.