I'm having difficulty expressing a binomial expansion as a sum

In summary: Right. But the binomial coefficient can be re -written in more explicit form; see $5 above.Notice that the numerator of those fractions are -1, then -1 - 4, then -1 - 4 - 7, ... Do you see a pattern? What will the next numerator be?
Robin64
Homework Statement
Given a function, f(x)=(8-3x^2)^-(⅓), find the 4 terms of that function's binomial expansion and then represent that expansion as a sum
Relevant Equations
f(x)=(8-3x^2)^-(⅓), (1+x)^n=1+nx+n(n-1)(x^2)/2!+n(n-1)(n-2)(x^3)/3!
I found the first 4 terms of the series: ½-(1/16)x^2+(1/64)x^4-(7/1536)x^6.

I cannot however simplify this to a sum. the 7 in the numerator of the last term of the above expansion is the sticking point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin64 said:
I found the first 4 terms of the series: ½-(1/16)x^2+(1/64)x^4-(7/1536)x^6.

I cannot however simplify this to a sum. the 7 in the numerator of the last term of the above expansion is the sticking point.
You have a formula for ##(1 + x)^n##. Make life easier on yourself by writing ##(8 - 3x^2)^{-1/3}## as ##8^{-1/3}(1 - \frac 3 8 x^2)^{-1/3}## and then replacing ##-\frac 3 8 x^2## with, say u.

Then you're working with ##(1 + u)^{-1/3}##, for which you know a formula, and presumably can come up with the general term.

As a tip, leave the numbers unmultiplied in those fractions. It's much harder to determine a pattern with 1/64 and 7/1536 and so on.

Ray Vickson said:
The general binomial coefficient of ##x^k## in the expansion ##(1+x)^{\lambda}## is
$${\lambda \choose k} \equiv \frac{\lambda (\lambda -1) \cdots (\lambda-k+1)}{k!}, \: k = 0,1, 2, 3, \ldots $$

Newton proved this as an application of his calculus of fluxions.

So
$$(1-u)^{-1/3} = 1 +(-u) {-1/3 \choose 1}+(-u)^2 {-1/3 \choose 2} + \cdots $$

Note that
$${-1/3 \choose 1} = -1/3$$
$${ -1/3 \choose 2} = \frac{(-1/3)(-1/3-1)}{2!} = (-1)^2 \frac{(1/3)(4/3)}{2} = \frac{4}{18}$$ etc.

Last edited:
In my work, I did re-write the function as (½)(1-3x^2)^-⅓. The problem is the pesky 7. I don't see a pattern that gives me a closed form solution. Here's where I'm at:

Robin64 said:
In my work, I did re-write the function as (½)(1-3x^2)^-⅓. The problem is the pesky 7. I don't see a pattern that gives me a closed form solution. Here's where I'm at:View attachment 241661

The binomial coefficient can be written as
$${-1/3 \choose k} =(-1)^k\, \frac{\prod_{j=0}^{k-1} (1+3 j)}{3^k k!}.$$
I don't think it can be expressed much more compactly than that.

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up expressing the sum as follows (I don't know the right code to display this properly, so I just took a screenshot of my solution as represented in Maple Document):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 22.40.54.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 22.40.54.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 275
Robin64 said:
Thanks. I ended up expressing the sum as follows (I don't know the right code to display this properly, so I just took a screenshot of my solution as represented in Maple Document):

Right. But the binomial coefficient can be re -written in more explicit form; see $5 above.

Notice that the numerator of those fractions are -1, then -1 - 4, then -1 - 4 - 7, ... Do you see a pattern? What will the next numerator be?

Likes jim mcnamara and SammyS

What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical expression that represents the expansion of a binomial (an expression with two terms) raised to a positive integer power.

Why is it difficult to express a binomial expansion as a sum?

It can be difficult to express a binomial expansion as a sum because it involves multiplying two terms with multiple factors, and then adding them together in a specific pattern. This can become increasingly complex as the power of the binomial increases.

Can you provide an example of a binomial expansion expressed as a sum?

Yes, an example of a binomial expansion expressed as a sum is (x + y)^3 = x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3.

What is the purpose of expressing a binomial expansion as a sum?

Expressing a binomial expansion as a sum allows for easier calculation and manipulation of the expression. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between the terms.

Are there any shortcuts or formulas for expressing a binomial expansion as a sum?

Yes, there are several formulas and shortcuts that can be used to express a binomial expansion as a sum, such as the binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle. These can make the process quicker and more efficient.