I'm in dire need of momentum help.

• Thread starter TheNormalForc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, We have a father and daughter on skates on a frozen lake, with the father pushing off with an initial velocity of 0.8 m/s in one direction and the daughter having an initial velocity of v in the opposite direction. The question asks for the magnitude of the daughter's speed, which can be solved using the conservation of momentum. We also have a separate question about the daughter's distance traveled before stopping due to friction, which can be solved using the formula F = \mu_k N and the kinematic equations.
TheNormalForc
If P = mv, then P^2/(2m) is:

I know the answer is Kinetic Energy, I just don't know the proof. Help?

A 70kg man and his 40kg daughter stand together on skates in the middle of a frozen lake. They push apart. Immediately after the push the father has an initial velocity of .8 m/s in on direction and his daughter has an initial velocity of v in the opposite direction.

Find the magnitude of v, the daughter's speed:

The question continues to ask for other variables and the like, which I could all calculate if I knew the daughter's speed, which I can not figure out. Please do help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you know that [itex]E_k = 1/2 mv^2 [/itex]. You can work out v in terms of momentum and substitute.

Remember that momentum is conserved. You can use this to work out the daughters speed.

For the first question you ask, I just answered an almost identical one here.

For the second part. You know that their momentum must be the same, but in opposite directions. Since you know the fathers momentum is mv = 70*0.8, you can set it equal to the daughters and solve for her velocity.

The simplicity of my delima really disheartens me, you know?

Thank you both.

Ah don't sweat it too much, any day you learn something new is a good day right?

That's true, but it's sometimes frustrating to ask for help. Atleast with the advent of the internet I can ask behind anonimity.

TheNormalForc said:
That's true, but it's sometimes frustrating to ask for help. Atleast with the advent of the internet I can ask behind anonimity.

I wouldn't be embarrassed or frustrated about asking for help. How else do we learn.

Well, while we're on the subject of helping.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the daughter's skates and the ice is mew = .1, how far will she slide before she is brought to a stop by the friction force?

TheNormalForc said:
Well, while we're on the subject of helping.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the daughter's skates and the ice is mew = .1, how far will she slide before she is brought to a stop by the friction force?

We help, we don't give answers :smile:. What have you tried so far or what are your thoughts about tackling this problem?

I calculated that the average force exerted on the daughter is 160N, and that the magnitude of her velocity is 1.4 m/s. I know F=ma is a relevant formula to the question, but I'm stuck from that point on.

TheNormalForc said:
I calculated that the average force exerted on the daughter is 160N, and that the magnitude of her velocity is 1.4 m/s. I know F=ma is a relevant formula to the question, but I'm stuck from that point on.

The average force from friction will not be 160N. The force of friction is [itex] F = \mu_k N [/itex], with N the normal force. Once you have the force you can work out the acceleration from F = ma. Then you will need to use the kinematic equations.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is a product of an object's mass and velocity.

Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various equations and calculations.

What are the factors that affect momentum?

The two main factors that affect momentum are an object's mass and velocity. The greater the mass or velocity of an object, the greater its momentum will be.

How can I calculate momentum?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How can I change an object's momentum?

An object's momentum can be changed by changing its mass or velocity. Applying a force to an object can also change its momentum, as force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum.