I'm not sure if this simple first day Abstract Algebra exercise is correct

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an established algebraic structure in order to talk about left and right inverses. The possibility of using the associative law in proving that a = b is also discussed, along with the suggestion that the author may have assumed a group structure without explicitly stating it. The importance of an identity element in defining an inverse is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for a monoid or group structure in order to prove that if x has a right inverse given by a and a left inverse given by b, then a = b.
jdinatale
Prove: If [itex]x[/itex] has a right inverse given by [itex]a[/itex] and a left inverse given by [itex]b[/itex], then [itex]a = b[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

One thing that bothers me: how can we even talk about a left inverse or a right inverse without establishing that x is in an algebraic structure? I wrote this in my proof but I'm not sure if it's necessary to do so or even correct.

Then my last line is kind of questionable. I'm not entirely sure if xa = bx, then a = b. What if I said b*(x*a) = (b*x)*a = e? Would that justify a = b?

jd1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
Prove: If [itex]x[/itex] has a right inverse given by [itex]a[/itex] and a left inverse given by [itex]b[/itex], then [itex]a = b[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

One thing that bothers me: how can we even talk about a left inverse or a right inverse without establishing that x is in an algebraic structure? I wrote this in my proof but I'm not sure if it's necessary to do so or even correct.

Then my last line is kind of questionable. I'm not entirely sure if xa = bx, then a = b. What if I said b*(x*a) = (b*x)*a = e? Would that justify a = b?

jd1.jpg
How does x*a = b*x = e imply that a = b ?

I don't know about needing an algebraic structure, but it looks to me that the associative law will need to hold.

Yeah, I think you need some sort of algebraic structure. First, inverse doesn't even make sense without having closure and identities. Especially the identity thing since it is required for a definition of inverse. And I, too, think you have to have associativity. So, you need closure, identity, inverses, and associativity. In other words, it seems to me, you have to be dealing in a group. I'm guessing the author is implying this. What book is this from?

It has to be in a monoid, which is a set [itex]G[/itex] with an associative law of "multiplication" and an identity element [itex]e \in G[/itex] such that [itex]e x = x e = x[/itex] for all [itex]x \in G[/itex]. However, a monoid need not have a two-sided inverse for all elements like a group would. The proof should be

[tex]a = e a = (bx)a = b(xa) = b e = b[/tex]

Yeah, but monoids don't need inverses on any side. This proof shows that the set is a group.

Robert1986 said:
Yeah, but monoids don't need inverses on any side. This proof shows that the set is a group.

The question as written seems to be asking about a specific x and not making a universally quantified statement, though I have no doubts the problem is meant to illustrate that inverses are two-sided in groups.

gauss^2 said:
It has to be in a monoid, which is a set [itex]G[/itex] with an associative law of "multiplication" and an identity element [itex]e \in G[/itex] such that [itex]e x = x e = x[/itex] for all [itex]x \in G[/itex]. However, a monoid need not have a two-sided inverse for all elements like a group would. The proof should be

[tex](bx)a = b(xa)[/tex]

The problem doesn't state that we have this associative property.

edit: plus the teacher has never even mentioned a monoid so I doubt that's what he has in mind.

Last edited:
Well, some algebraic structure HAS to be implied here, otherwise x could be anything, say a tree. I am willing to bet that whoever wrote this question just assumed that you could read his mind and infer that he meant something like "In a group, x has a left inverse and right inverse..." Is that possible? Otherwise, I really don't see how to do anything. Even if there is a way to prove it without associativity, you have to define inverses which means you need at least an identity element.

1. Is Abstract Algebra a difficult subject?

Abstract Algebra can be a challenging subject, especially for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics. However, with practice and dedication, it can be understood and applied effectively.

2. How do I know if my solution to an Abstract Algebra exercise is correct?

The best way to verify the correctness of your solution is to compare it with the given answer or ask for feedback from a professor or a classmate who is knowledgeable in the subject.

3. What are the common mistakes made in Abstract Algebra exercises?

Some common mistakes in Abstract Algebra exercises include incorrect notation, forgetting to consider certain cases, and making wrong assumptions. It is important to carefully read and understand the instructions before attempting the exercise.

4. Is it necessary to show all the steps in Abstract Algebra exercises?

Yes, it is important to show all the steps in Abstract Algebra exercises to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts and to receive full credit for your work.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Abstract Algebra?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of Abstract Algebra. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a professor, a tutor, or online resources to clarify any confusing concepts.