I'm off by sqrt(2) and it's driving me crazy (expanded particle in 1D box)

In summary, the particle is in the ground state of the new box if and only if the new ground state wavefunction is sqrt(2/L)sin(Pi*x/L).
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I believe this is a pretty standard question. A particle is initially in the ground state of a box of length L. Suddenly, the box expands symmetrically to twice its size, without disturbing the wavefunction. Show that the probability of finding the particle in the ground state of the new box is (8/(3Pi))^2.

Homework Equations

We're using the box defined (initially) from -L/2.. L/2, and the potential is infinite everywhere outside the box. The ground state wavefunction should be sqrt(2/L)sin(Pi*x/L).

The Attempt at a Solution

First I determined how we would renormalize the wavefunction in the new box, which extends from -L to L. So, I integrated [tex] \int_{-L}^{L} A^2 sin^2\left(\frac{n \pi x}{2L}\right) dx[/tex] and got the new wavefunctions to be [tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} sin{\frac{n \pi x}{2L}} [/tex].

Now if I understand correctly, the probabilty of finding the particle in the new ground state is simply the square of the projection of this new state vector onto the old ground state vector. So I then integrated [tex]\int_{-L}^{L} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right) \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{2L}\right) dx = \frac{8 \sqrt{2}}{3 \pi}[/tex].

If you square this, it's correct except for the square root of two (which makes my prob. off by a factor of 2!).

The extra [tex] \sqrt{2} [/tex] is driving me crazy! What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps, I can see that using the normalization factor sqrt(1/L) for both wavefunctions would produce the correct answer, but I don't understand why I'd tack the new normalization onto my old wavefunction. If someone can explain this I'd be much obliged...

quasar_4 said:
Now if I understand correctly, the probabilty of finding the particle in the new ground state is simply the square of the projection of this new state vector onto the old ground state vector. So I then integrated [tex]\int_{-L}^{L} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right) \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}} sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{2L}\right) dx = \frac{8 \sqrt{2}}{3 \pi}[/tex].

Do you really want to integrate this from [itex]-L[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex]?...Isn't the particle in the state

[tex]\psi(x)=\begin{array}{lr} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right) &, |x|\leq\frac{L}{2} \\ 0 &, |x|>\frac{L}{2}\end{array}[/tex]

I suppose that makes more sense, since the initial state isn't defined past L/2.

The only problem is that that integral would then give me 4/3*pi, which is still off by a factor of 2!

Isn't the ground state [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\cos\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right)[/tex]?

Aha!

I always forget that the sine solution goes with the even integers (I tend to associate sine to odd things).

That totally solves my problem; thank you! :-D

1. What does "I'm off by sqrt(2)" mean in the context of a 1D box?

In a 1-dimensional particle in a box system, the allowed energy levels are determined by the equation E = (n^2 * h^2)/8mL^2, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the box. The square root of 2, or sqrt(2), is often used as a unitless constant in this equation. Therefore, being "off by sqrt(2)" means that there is a discrepancy in the energy levels of the system.

2. Why is being "off by sqrt(2)" significant?

The square root of 2 is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This makes it a fundamental constant in mathematical and physical equations. In the context of a 1D box, being "off by sqrt(2)" indicates that there is an error in the calculation or measurement of the energy levels, which can have significant implications on the accuracy of the results.

3. How does being "off by sqrt(2)" affect the behavior of the particle in the box?

The energy levels in a 1D box determine the allowed energy states of the particle, and therefore, its behavior. Being "off by sqrt(2)" can lead to a mismatch between the theoretical and observed energy levels, resulting in discrepancies in the behavior of the particle. This can affect its movement, velocity, and ultimately, its overall behavior in the system.

4. How can one address being "off by sqrt(2)" in a 1D box system?

To address being "off by sqrt(2)", one must first identify the source of the error. This can involve checking the calculations, measurement instruments, and experimental setup. Once the source of the error is identified, adjustments can be made to improve the accuracy of the results. This can include refining the experimental setup, using more precise measurement instruments, or adjusting the calculations to account for any overlooked factors.

5. Can being "off by sqrt(2)" be beneficial in any way?

While being "off by sqrt(2)" is typically seen as an error or discrepancy in a 1D box system, it can also provide valuable insights into the underlying physics of the system. By analyzing the source of the error and understanding its implications, scientists can gain a better understanding of the limitations and complexities of the system, leading to potential advancements in the field of quantum mechanics.