1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im searching for some physics books

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    I finished school lately and i wan't to learn physics by myself.
    im looking for good physics book's, sites where i can find physics tutorials in university level or even more, can you give me some ideas for book's or sites like that?
    i wan't to learn this with order, and not to jump from thing to thing and that's why i am searching more for books that sites.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    as i can see you all are very familiar with many physics books:P
  4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    What's the last math course you took?
    I don't know about online sites being all that good, but you should definitely take a look at the textbook "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Walker.
    The new edition requires that you have very basic calculus knowledge.
    It's pretty awesome to say the least. :)
    Also, if you're interested in applications of mechanics, Schaum's outline of Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics is definitely worth the buy.
    But yeah, these books require that you atleast be comfortable with algebra and familiar with calculus.
  5. Oct 10, 2006 #4
    Check out some of the other threads in this section. There was just a recent thread on physics books here, so maybe folks are tired of the subject.

To those listed there, I'd add A. P. French's texts Newtonian Mechanics and Vibrations and Waves. He also did one on Special Relativity and another on Quantum Physics, which I haven't seen in a while.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  6. Nov 11, 2006 #5
    Don't get Fundamentals if you can help it. Get the older 66-67 editions in two volumes titled simply Physics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?