1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Math Comprehensive math-physics books for self-study

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for a comprehensive mathematical physics book for self-study.

My ideal book would have some of these qualities:
    - lots of applications, examples, problems and solutions (or available solutions)
    - not focused on rigor
    - interesting to read (maybe with some history too?)
    - ideally it would prep me for jumping right into reading recent publications
    - good for reference

And it would have some of these subjects:
    - vector calculus, integration techniques (and/or other relevant calculus)
    - complex analysis, conformal mappings, sums, series and sequences
    - linear algebra, eigenvalues/vectors, rotations, tensors
    - Fourier Analysis, Laplace Transforms
    - linear and partial differential equations, Sturm-Liouville theory, Green's functions
    - nonlinear dynamics, chaos, numerical methods, graph theory
    - prob/stats, bayes stats and other useful stats (like markov chains, regression, etc)
    - topology, differential geometry, group theory, renormalization and other advanced topics

Obviously that's a lot of material; it's not listed in any order of importance.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?

The book I'm looking at right now is Mathematical Techniques by Jordan and Smith. It has quite a few of these subjects, but I want some better opinions. And if I didn't mention any particular positive aspect of a book for self-study (or an important modern subject), feel free to add your input. Also, I'm at the beginning half of grad school, if it makes a difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2
    You may find some information here
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-self-study-mathematics.804404/ [Broken]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    That is certainly helpful. I've always been good at asking myself questions, but I've never been systematic about it.

Maybe I'll pick up one of those books by Gelfand. I could imagine myself leisurely doing basic exercises.

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

My newest favorite is

Sadri Hassani, Mathematical Physics, 2nd Edition, Springer 2013
    DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-01195-0

6. Apr 9, 2015 #5
    At first glance it looks good, thanks :)

7. Apr 10, 2015 #6
    Beware of Kindle edition of the book. It doesn't display some special characters.

8. Apr 10, 2015 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why should one have the Kindle edition. I've the book in good old paper and as a pdf ebook. The latter is great to carry around with my laptop and tablet, the latter to really study.

9. Apr 10, 2015 #8
    Yeah, Kindle's lack of ability to put up figures and equations in PDFs was the main reason that I didn't buy it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted