Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm thinking of starting a website

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

....called dontbeparishilton.com. I don't know if it is something that gets worse as you go further west (it is nothing like this in PA), but about every third girl here in Ft Collins, Colorado appears to be attempting to enter a Paris Hilton look-alike contest. I mean seriously - do they really think those massive sunglasses don't make them look like Willy Wonka? I couldn't even take a picture of my friend without accidentally getting a handful of them in it. They were ehhvrywhere! Here's a couple of them now:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2
    Be thankful those big shades cover up their ugly faces.

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3
    Ha ha. Definitely go with Freewebs. Actually Freewebs has advanced and is pretty good now.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    Where are all the Jackie O. wannabies?

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's wrong with those sunglasses? That's what's in style now, and I'm actually glad of it. It was annoying when all the sunglasses only were little tiny lenses on them...what good does that do when it doesn't actually shade your eyes from the sun?

I have sunglasses like that and I don't even know if Paris Hilton even wears sunglasses, because I pay ZERO attention to her. Though, one very tiny friend tried on a pair of big sunglasses and we just laughed that she looked like a bug :bugeye:...some people with small faces should wear proportionally smaller sunglasses. The problem is they seem to be sold in two sizes, big and tiny, and very little in between (at least in women's sunglasses...if the men's wouldn't be too wide for my head, I've considered just getting men's sunglasses, because they are more appropriate lens sizes for functionality).

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6
    I'm amazed that you could post a picture of some woman trying to pass herself off as Paris, and not notice the FBI agent trying to pass herself off as pool boy.

8. Jun 30, 2008 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally, I'm more annoyed by people that hang their sunglasses from the front of their T-shirts .... and the ones that wear their sunglasses up on top of their head. Haven't these guys ever heard of pockets (and pocket protectors)?

The probability of all three girls crossing their legs in the same direction should be less than 12.5%. Does anyone else notice the actual occurence of multiple people crossing their legs in the same direction seems to be much higher?

(I'm doing a study. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

9. Jun 30, 2008 #8
    I have a pair of polarized Ray Ban wayfarers :biggrin:

[​IMG]

10. Jun 30, 2008 #9

russ_watters

It's only partly about the sunglasses (though they are a requirement). You also need at least two of the following: bleach-blonde hair, a sundress or velvet jogging suit, and a terrible purse that may be concealing a bowling ball. A dog in the purse helps too (saw a few of them).

But anyway, compare:
    http://www.parishiltonzone.com/pictures/displayimage.php?album=294&pos=0
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm552179968/tt0120669
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm911448320/tt0367594
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm676567296/tt0367594

Creepy.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. Jun 30, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Still, you live in a college town, so you may want to get checked out to make sure you haven't become infected.

12. Jun 30, 2008 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yes, it does get worse as you head west. I haven't traveled much since Paris Hilton became such a phenomenon, but I was in Pennsylvania about a month ago and you're right. Very few of them there. Here in South Orange County, they're everywhere.

13. Jun 30, 2008 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By the way, if you were really taking a picture of your friend, why is he way over at the side of the picture and the Paris Hilton look-alikes accidentally in the center of the picture? :confused:

14. Jun 30, 2008 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are the trend. It has nothing to do with Paris Hilton.

Someone is thinking too much about this.

15. Jun 30, 2008 #14

RonL

Gold Member

I think the only time I take notice is when they DON'T cross their legs.:surprised:biggrin::bugeye:

16. Jun 30, 2008 #15
    ...how do you think they became a trend?

17. Jun 30, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As you guys know, I'm in the eye of the storm. The oversized sunglasses look seems to be phasing out somewhat here. (We're like, bored with it, already.) The wave will be propagating outward toward the rest of the world over the next few months and I'm guessing we'll hardly see any bug-eyed bobble-heads anywhere by next summer.

18. Jun 30, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I think I might be okay then. The blonde hair is all natural (if you look closely enough, you can find the gray to prove it), I do sometimes wear sundresses (it is summer afterall), never a velvet jogging suit though, and I can't stand huge purses capable of hiding a bowling ball or dog (my sister gave me one as a gift that was big enough to shove the cat in, which amused me for a few minutes, but the cat is still getting revenge, so I gave it away to someone else who happened to say they liked it).

Yeah, Paris Hilton doesn't even cross my mind when I see people with big sunglasses. Someone is paying entirely too much attention to Paris Hilton to notice this. :biggrin:

19. Jun 30, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I see big glasses I think of Carol Channing :shrug!: .

20. Jun 30, 2008 #19
    Hey, it's sunny in California, what can I say?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing sunglasses if it's summer.

21. Jun 30, 2008 #20
    Its not the sunglasses thats the problem, its the stupid style of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?