I'm thinking of starting a website

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary: Willy Wonka? In summary, the girls in Colorado are trying to imitate Paris Hilton. These sunglasses may be a requirement, but they also need bleach blonde hair, a sundress, and a terrible purse to pull it off.
russ_watters
Mentor
...called dontbeparishilton.com. I don't know if it is something that gets worse as you go further west (it is nothing like this in PA), but about every third girl here in Ft Collins, Colorado appears to be attempting to enter a Paris Hilton look-alike contest. I mean seriously - do they really think those massive sunglasses don't make them look like Willy Wonka? I couldn't even take a picture of my friend without accidentally getting a handful of them in it. They were ehhvrywhere! Here's a couple of them now:

Attachments

• bertnpariss.jpg
    bertnpariss.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 592
Physics news on Phys.org
Be thankful those big shades cover up their ugly faces.

Ha ha. Definitely go with Freewebs. Actually Freewebs has advanced and is pretty good now.

Where are all the Jackie O. wannabies?

What's wrong with those sunglasses? That's what's in style now, and I'm actually glad of it. It was annoying when all the sunglasses only were little tiny lenses on them...what good does that do when it doesn't actually shade your eyes from the sun?

I have sunglasses like that and I don't even know if Paris Hilton even wears sunglasses, because I pay ZERO attention to her. Though, one very tiny friend tried on a pair of big sunglasses and we just laughed that she looked like a bug :bugeye:...some people with small faces should wear proportionally smaller sunglasses. The problem is they seem to be sold in two sizes, big and tiny, and very little in between (at least in women's sunglasses...if the men's wouldn't be too wide for my head, I've considered just getting men's sunglasses, because they are more appropriate lens sizes for functionality).

I'm amazed that you could post a picture of some woman trying to pass herself off as Paris, and not notice the FBI agent trying to pass herself off as pool boy.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by people that hang their sunglasses from the front of their T-shirts ... and the ones that wear their sunglasses up on top of their head. Haven't these guys ever heard of pockets (and pocket protectors)?

The probability of all three girls crossing their legs in the same direction should be less than 12.5%. Does anyone else notice the actual occurence of multiple people crossing their legs in the same direction seems to be much higher?

(I'm doing a study. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Moonbear said:
What's wrong with those sunglasses? That's what's in style now, and I'm actually glad of it. It was annoying when all the sunglasses only were little tiny lenses on them...what good does that do when it doesn't actually shade your eyes from the sun?

I have sunglasses like that and I don't even know if Paris Hilton even wears sunglasses, because I pay ZERO attention to her. Though, one very tiny friend tried on a pair of big sunglasses and we just laughed that she looked like a bug :bugeye:...some people with small faces should wear proportionally smaller sunglasses. The problem is they seem to be sold in two sizes, big and tiny, and very little in between (at least in women's sunglasses...if the men's wouldn't be too wide for my head, I've considered just getting men's sunglasses, because they are more appropriate lens sizes for functionality).

I have a pair of polarized Ray Ban wayfarers :biggrin:

http://www.australiafair.com.au/images/Wayfarer.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
It's only partly about the sunglasses (though they are a requirement). You also need at least two of the following: bleach-blonde hair, a sundress or velvet jogging suit, and a terrible purse that may be concealing a bowling ball. A dog in the purse helps too (saw a few of them).

But anyway, compare:
http://www.parishiltonzone.com/pictures/displayimage.php?album=294&pos=0
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm552179968/tt0120669
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm911448320/tt0367594
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm676567296/tt0367594

Creepy.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I have sunglasses like that and I don't even know if Paris Hilton even wears sunglasses, because I pay ZERO attention to her.
Still, you live in a college town, so you may want to get checked out to make sure you haven't become infected.

Yes, it does get worse as you head west. I haven't traveled much since Paris Hilton became such a phenomenon, but I was in Pennsylvania about a month ago and you're right. Very few of them there. Here in South Orange County, they're everywhere.

russ_watters said:
...called dontbeparishilton.com. I don't know if it is something that gets worse as you go further west (it is nothing like this in PA), but about every third girl here in Ft Collins, Colorado appears to be attempting to enter a Paris Hilton look-alike contest. I mean seriously - do they really think those massive sunglasses don't make them look like Willy Wonka? I couldn't even take a picture of my friend without accidentally getting a handful of them in it. They were ehhvrywhere! Here's a couple of them now:

By the way, if you were really taking a picture of your friend, why is he way over at the side of the picture and the Paris Hilton look-alikes accidentally in the center of the picture? :confused:

Moonbear said:

They are the trend. It has nothing to do with Paris Hilton.

Someone is thinking too much about this.

BobG said:
Personally, I'm more annoyed by people that hang their sunglasses from the front of their T-shirts ... and the ones that wear their sunglasses up on top of their head. Haven't these guys ever heard of pockets (and pocket protectors)?

The probability of all three girls crossing their legs in the same direction should be less than 12.5%. Does anyone else notice the actual occurence of multiple people crossing their legs in the same direction seems to be much higher?

(I'm doing a study. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I think the only time I take notice is when they DON'T cross their legs. :biggrin::bugeye:

JasonRox said:

...how do you think they became a trend?

As you guys know, I'm in the eye of the storm. The oversized sunglasses look seems to be phasing out somewhat here. (We're like, bored with it, already.) The wave will be propagating outward toward the rest of the world over the next few months and I'm guessing we'll hardly see any bug-eyed bobble-heads anywhere by next summer.

russ_watters said:
It's only partly about the sunglasses (though they are a requirement). You also need at least two of the following: bleach-blonde hair, a sundress or velvet jogging suit, and a terrible purse that may be concealing a bowling ball. A dog in the purse helps too (saw a few of them).

But anyway, compare:
http://www.parishiltonzone.com/pictures/displayimage.php?album=294&pos=0
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm552179968/tt0120669
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm911448320/tt0367594
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm676567296/tt0367594

Creepy.
:rofl: I think I might be okay then. The blonde hair is all natural (if you look closely enough, you can find the gray to prove it), I do sometimes wear sundresses (it is summer afterall), never a velvet jogging suit though, and I can't stand huge purses capable of hiding a bowling ball or dog (my sister gave me one as a gift that was big enough to shove the cat in, which amused me for a few minutes, but the cat is still getting revenge, so I gave it away to someone else who happened to say they liked it).

JasonRox said:

Yeah, Paris Hilton doesn't even cross my mind when I see people with big sunglasses. Someone is paying entirely too much attention to Paris Hilton to notice this. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, Paris Hilton doesn't even cross my mind when I see people with big sunglasses.

When I see big glasses I think of Carol Channing :shrug!: .

loseyourname said:
Yes, it does get worse as you head west. I haven't traveled much since Paris Hilton became such a phenomenon, but I was in Pennsylvania about a month ago and you're right. Very few of them there. Here in South Orange County, they're everywhere.

Hey, it's sunny in California, what can I say?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing sunglasses if it's summer.

russ_watters said:

BryanP said:
Hey, it's sunny in California, what can I say?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing sunglasses if it's summer.

Its not the sunglasses that's the problem, its the stupid style of them.

Am I the only one who just sees normal average women in the picture? The sunglasses look of a normal size to me (in that picture). Some of girls I know wear HUUGGEE glasses.

I could walk around the UofA campus for ten minutes and get 20 pictures of women almost indistinguishable from Paris Hilton in every way possible.

moose said:
Am I the only one who just sees normal average women in the picture? The sunglasses look of a normal size to me (in that picture). Some of girls I know wear HUUGGEE glasses.

I could walk around the UofA campus for ten minutes and get 20 pictures of women almost indistinguishable from Paris Hilton in every way possible.

Na, look at that girl in the middle in green. Those are huge.

Just wondering, Russ, what kind of sunglasses are acceptable to you?
What's up with this seeing Paris Hilton behind every pair you see, are you in lust?

That's what I'm saying. Everywhere I go. Anywhere in California, I see them. It's just the trend. Girls at UC Berkeley, they wear them. Girls at UCLA, they wear them. Girls at UCSD, they wear them. Even some faculty wears them. I was at a conference recently and even one of the professors wore OVERSIZED sunglasses like those.

I personally do NOT wear sunglasses, but it's not uncommon here.

I mean compared to the east coast, I don't see why it'd be in trend if the weather there isn't as sunny as it is in even parts of California year round.

BryanP said:
That's what I'm saying. Everywhere I go. Anywhere in California, I see them. It's just the trend. Girls at UC Berkeley, they wear them. Girls at UCLA, they wear them. Girls at UCSD, they wear them. Even some faculty wears them. I was at a conference recently and even one of the professors wore OVERSIZED sunglasses like those.

I personally do NOT wear sunglasses, but it's not uncommon here.

I mean compared to the east coast, I don't see why it'd be in trend if the weather there isn't as sunny as it is in even parts of California year round.

There are quite a few girls around the east coast wearing them, sadly. Lots of people wear sunglases here, but I've noticed that most girls here tend to wear sunglasses with white frames-and they look pretty good too.

Those kind of big sunglasses have been in fashion here since at least last summer, if not earlier ... and we hardly have any sun!

BobG said:

It is easier to sit this way, you know, like spoons in the drawer. Trick is everyone has to change leg crossing direction at the same time. 1, 2, 3, switch!

Cyrus said:
There are quite a few girls around the east coast wearing them, sadly. Lots of people wear sunglases here, but I've noticed that most girls here tend to wear sunglasses with white frames-and they look pretty good too.

Why sadly? I still don't see what's wrong with them? Probably don't see as much on the east coast because not everyone needs to wear sunglasses year round, so a pair lasts longer...no point buying a new pair if the old ones are still good. It makes more sense than those tiny John Lennon type glasses that let all the sun around them. They sure couldn't get any smaller, so they had to get bigger.

Math Is Hard said:
As you guys know, I'm in the eye of the storm. The oversized sunglasses look seems to be phasing out somewhat here. (We're like, bored with it, already.) The wave will be propagating outward toward the rest of the world over the next few months and I'm guessing we'll hardly see any bug-eyed bobble-heads anywhere by next summer.

Wow, if the wave propagates outward we can expect something similar to Tunguska event south of Australia. Do you have any data about the propagation speed, so that we can evaluate when to start data logging?

I really think it depends on the specific pair on the individual woman. Some look really good, some look really bad. Ugg boots on the other hand...

At my HS aviators are the big deal, they look stupid.

I do see a canny resemblance...

http://www.filehive.com/files/080630/bertnpariss.jpg

Moonbear said:
Why sadly? I still don't see what's wrong with them? Probably don't see as much on the east coast because not everyone needs to wear sunglasses year round, so a pair lasts longer...no point buying a new pair if the old ones are still good. It makes more sense than those tiny John Lennon type glasses that let all the sun around them. They sure couldn't get any smaller, so they had to get bigger.

Sadly because they are god-awful ugly. Its like those big ugly glasses from the early 80's. Small sunglasses have never been in style. (At least, I've never seen anyone with small sunglasses)

Cyrus said:
Sadly because they are god-awful ugly. Its like those big ugly glasses from the early 80's. Small sunglasses have never been in style. (At least, I've never seen anyone with small sunglasses)
You youngsters. ALL of the rock groups back in the 60's wore them the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, EVERYONE.

http://www.badfads.com/pages/fashion/grannyglasses.html

Evo said:
You youngsters. ALL of the rock groups back in the 60's wore them the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, EVERYONE.

http://www.badfads.com/pages/fashion/grannyglasses.html

Awk, those are fugly.