I'm thinking of taking Physics as a major but could it limit me?

In summary, the person is considering majoring in Physics but is unsure if it will limit their options for future careers such as graduate studies in engineering, medical school, or dentistry. They have not attended grade 11 in Canada but completed top grades in GCSEs and have good grades for their mid-term in grade 12. They are advised to research the specific requirements for their desired graduate programs instead of relying on general advice.
Usernamed
Hello there,

As the tittle goes: I'm thinking of taking Physics as a major but could it limit me?

I've done some googling but everybody seems to contradict themselves.

I'm finding hard time deciding on a program, and I don't have much time left until the deadlines. I'm pretty sure that I want to study physics but I am a little undecided in my future career. So I may change my major after while in university.

I would like pursue graduate studies once completion of my bachelors degree since I enjoy learning and understanding how things work.

I didn't attend grade 11 in Canada. I lived in England and was studying for my A levels.
I have no grades from last year since I left before any exams but upon completion of secondary school my top 8 GCSEs were 3 A* and 5 A's.

For my mid-term for grade 12 in Canada I got;
English ENG4U - 85%
Biology SBI4U - 91%
Advance Functions MHF4U - 82% (I failed my 1st exam but I'm aiming in the 90's for my final)

So the questions

I'm thinking that I may want to take a masters in engineering or go to medical school or study dentistry. Will physics be sufficient to apply for any of these graduate programs or will it limit me?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Every decision you make will limit you in some way.
Med schools and engineering colleges usually have specific requirements for grad school ... they typically expect graduates with medical or engineering degrees respectively though there are often exceptions. You need to ask them and not us.

1. Will studying physics limit my career options?

No, studying physics can actually open up a wide range of career options. Physics majors are in demand in fields such as engineering, research and development, data analysis, and teaching. Furthermore, the analytical and problem-solving skills gained from studying physics can be applied to many other industries.

2. Is it difficult to switch to a different major if I decide I don't like physics?

It is possible to switch to a different major, but it may require some extra effort and time. It is important to carefully consider your interests and strengths before committing to a physics major. Speaking with an academic advisor can also help you make an informed decision.

3. Can I still have a well-rounded education if I major in physics?

Yes, a major in physics can provide a well-rounded education. Physics courses often involve a combination of theoretical and practical learning, and many programs also require students to take courses in other disciplines such as mathematics, chemistry, and computer science.

4. Will studying physics limit my earning potential?

No, studying physics can actually lead to high-paying careers. According to the American Institute of Physics, the median salary for physics majors is significantly higher than the national average for all occupations. In addition, physics majors often have the opportunity to pursue graduate studies, which can lead to even higher salaries.

5. Is a physics major only for those who want to become scientists?

No, a physics major can be beneficial for anyone interested in understanding how the world works. The skills and knowledge gained from studying physics can be applied to a variety of fields, from finance and economics to medicine and environmental science. Additionally, a physics major can provide a strong foundation for pursuing a career in science communication or science policy.