I'm thinking of starting a website

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary: Willy Wonka? In summary, the girls in Colorado are trying to imitate Paris Hilton. These sunglasses may be a requirement, but they also need bleach blonde hair, a sundress, and a terrible purse to pull it off.
What I hate are the god aweful platform shoes so many women have been wearing. I think it's going out of style finally though.

http://allshoesandboots.com/
These are goth style but I've seen all sorts. They're ugly as sin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
Its like those big ugly glasses from the early 80's.

Hey, those didn't seem so ugly in the 80s! Besides, that's WAY more practical for sunglasses than regular glasses. I really don't care if I look like a bug if I can keep my eyes open outside in summer.

Moonbear said:
Hey, those didn't seem so ugly in the 80s! Besides, that's WAY more practical for sunglasses than regular glasses. I really don't care if I look like a bug if I can keep my eyes open outside in summer.

No, you don't need to look like a bug to keep your eyes open in the summer. There are plenty of glasses that are a reasonable size and do their job.

BAD

http://www.debenhams.com/images/espots/markimg/womens_sunglasses_hero.jpg [Broken]

GOOD

http://www.luxemix.com/luxe_mix/images/2007/11/03/thakoon_aviator_sunglasses.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Those you're calling "good" might look fine on a guy. They are men's sunglasses. And way too transparent to do any good. The ones on top actually look like women's sunglasses, and are dark enough to block out sunlight. Sorry, when it comes to my eyes and seeing where I'm going, I take function over fashion (and don't share your taste in fashion there anyway).

Moonbear said:
Those you're calling "good" might look fine on a guy. They are men's sunglasses. And way too transparent to do any good. The ones on top actually look like women's sunglasses, and are dark enough to block out sunlight. Sorry, when it comes to my eyes and seeing where I'm going, I take function over fashion (and don't share your taste in fashion there anyway).

There not men's sunglasses. I've seen lots and lots of girls wearing aviators. Also, the lense comes in different colors. So that's just one of many possibilities. Some are full on dark, some are silver like a mirror. Just do a google image on aviators and you'll see a wide variety.

http://www.ubereyes.org/images/jessica-biel-sporting-ultra-classy-aviators_14.jpg [Broken]

This one is for Russ!

http://red.blogs.aol.com/dyn/userimages/0000000000/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/90000/5000/700/95743/232867.jpg [Broken]

Yuck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
...how do you think they became a trend?

I wouldn't know because I don't watch television nor do I know anything about celebrities or anything surrounding it.

Cyrus, are you gay?

Girls in aviators is sexy.:!)

JasonRox said:
Cyrus, are you gay?

:rofl: I don't know - he sure does post a lot of pictures of beautiful women! Cyrus is a fashion, um, guru? Nazi? Wacko? As his sign off says, check out his fashion tips. (Actually, he gives pretty good fashion advice - especially for an engineer :cool: ! Jason, you got that job selling clothes, right? I think you'd appreciate his point of view, probably.)

JasonRox said:
Cyrus, are you gay?

Sorry Jason, pretty as you are I am not interested! :rofl:

JasonRox said:
I wouldn't know because I don't watch television nor do I know anything about celebrities or anything surrounding it.

Neither do I, I just wanted pictures of sunglasses so I googled sunglasses + women. Ta-da a bunch of pics of celebs in sunglasses came up!

B. Elliott said:
Girls in aviators is sexy.:!)

Helllsssssss yeah.

lisab said:
:rofl: I don't know - he sure does post a lot of pictures of beautiful women! Cyrus is a fashion, um, guru? Nazi? Wacko? As his sign off says, check out his fashion tips. (Actually, he gives pretty good fashion advice - especially for an engineer :cool: ! Jason, you got that job selling clothes, right? I think you'd appreciate his point of view, probably.)

Up until the end of sophmore year of college, I was totally clueless on fashion. My friend got me into it when I thumbed through some of his GQ magazines.

Its really quite interesting stuff though. It trains you to have an eye for things. If I need a shirt or pants for example, I can walk through the store and in 5 mins know what's crap and what's ok to buy, what will fit me and what won't just by looking at it. I don't have to waste my time. There are also certain things that just don't go bad. Thats why I bought rayban sunglasses. They were classic in the 60's, they came back in the 80's, and they'll come back again in a few summers. They just don't go bad, so they are worth buying.

People like to buy things that are the current FAD. Then you have something you'll never wear again same time next year. You got suckered into buying junk.

That's why I just play it safe... t-garbage, jeans, aviators.:biggrin:

And yes people do occasionally say it looks like I stepped out of the 80's.

B. Elliott said:
That's why I just play it safe... t-garbage, jeans, aviators.:biggrin:

And yes people do occasionally say it looks like I stepped out of the 80's.

Screw that, Navy Dress whites + Aviators = lots of women for you!

Tell them your call sign is Ice man, do it for me. Do her for, ...AMERICA. (Holds fist in the air while flexing bicep).

lisab said:

No one ever listens to advice though.

It's hard to give advice while selling clothes. The bottom line is to sell clothes and if people liked horribly fitted clothes, then so be it.

I tried giving advice about washing clothes properly, wearing certain fits depending on size, and colors. No one listens ever.

JasonRox said:
Cyrus, are you gay?

When I renew my membership someday, I will make that quote my sig.

The classic aviator style is over rated. It doesn't give much peripheral protection.

A slight wrap around style works better. They protect your eyes from sunlight better, plus give a little more protection from debris (not a very high priority unless you drive a Jeep or convertible).

I don't go for the Ray-bans and Oakleys, either. You can get cheap sunglasses that give the same protection. You don't feel so bad when break them, lose them, or have them stolen. I even ran over my sunglasses once - they slipped off my dashboard and onto the road and were crushed by my rear tire before I could react.

Sunglasses really shouldn't protrude below the top of the ala, nor above the eyebrow. They shouldn't protrude past a plane parallel to the side of the head where the frame rests on the ear.

I'm kind of surprised the military doesn't have more detailed regulations on what's acceptable. They just say faddish sunglasses are banned, but specifically say the wrap around style is allowed (these are more functional, but some traditionalists may consider them faddish).

Interestingly, commercial pilots can't wear polarized sunglasses. The windows of most commercial aircraft are polarized and some of the instruments have polarized covers. The glare of sunlight from other aircraft is considered important to avoiding mid-air collisions rather than an annoyance.

Equally interesting, in the 19th century amber or brown lens sunglasses were prescribed for patients with syphillus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Thats why I bought rayban sunglasses. They were classic in the 60's, they came back in the 80's, and they'll come back again in a few summers. They just don't go bad, so they are worth buying.

You get a pair of sunglasses to last that long? Mine never survive that long. I tried more expensive ones once, just to see if they lasted longer. Nope. I have amazing talent when it comes to completely destroying sunglasses, so I stick with ones under $15 if I can at all help it. I'm just glad I don't need to wear regular glasses. That would be a lot more expensive. I've dropped them on the ground, smooshed them in the purse, lost them overboard on boats and canoes, snapped off wings without a clue how I managed to do it, and generally scratch the heck out of them. I even tried being extra careful to keep them in a case anytime I wasn't wearing them, but then they'd manage to miraculously escape the case in my purse, or I'd drop them on concrete while trying to put them in the case. :rolleyes:

<h2>1. What is the purpose of your website?</h2><p>The purpose of my website is to provide information about a specific topic, sell products or services, or connect with a specific audience.</p><h2>2. How much does it cost to start a website?</h2><p>The cost of starting a website can vary depending on factors such as the platform, hosting, domain name, and any additional features or services. It can range from a few dollars to hundreds or even thousands of dollars.</p><h2>3. Do I need any technical skills to start a website?</h2><p>While having technical skills can be helpful, it is not necessary to start a website. Many website builders and platforms offer user-friendly interfaces and templates that make it easy for anyone to create a website without any coding knowledge.</p><h2>4. How long does it take to build a website?</h2><p>The time it takes to build a website can vary depending on the complexity of the site and the amount of content that needs to be created. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several weeks or even months to build a website.</p><h2>5. How do I get people to visit my website?</h2><p>There are many ways to drive traffic to your website, including search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, and paid advertising. It's important to have a solid marketing plan in place to attract visitors to your website.</p>

1. What is the purpose of your website?

The purpose of my website is to provide information about a specific topic, sell products or services, or connect with a specific audience.

2. How much does it cost to start a website?

The cost of starting a website can vary depending on factors such as the platform, hosting, domain name, and any additional features or services. It can range from a few dollars to hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

3. Do I need any technical skills to start a website?

While having technical skills can be helpful, it is not necessary to start a website. Many website builders and platforms offer user-friendly interfaces and templates that make it easy for anyone to create a website without any coding knowledge.

4. How long does it take to build a website?

The time it takes to build a website can vary depending on the complexity of the site and the amount of content that needs to be created. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several weeks or even months to build a website.

5. How do I get people to visit my website?

There are many ways to drive traffic to your website, including search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, and paid advertising. It's important to have a solid marketing plan in place to attract visitors to your website.