Image Charges and a hollow conducting sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of image charges in electrostatics, specifically in the case of a point charge q located some distance d from the center of a hollow, conducting sphere of radius a. The solution involves finding the magnitude and position of the image charge q' induced on the sphere, which can be determined by setting the potential at the boundary to q'/4∏ε0a. However, the method of images is typically used for a charge outside the sphere, not inside it.
raving_lunatic

Homework Statement

Hi! Bear in mind, before shooting me down, that I'm very new to electrostatics and extremely (i.e. today) new to the method of image charges, and all my learning is dodgy book-learning and not learning from asking the learned questions.

This said, I just want my physical logic checking before I make a terrible mistake.

I've just worked out the image system for a point charge q some distance d from the center of an earthed, hollow, conducting sphere of radius a; it consists of a single point charge at some distance b from the center of magnitude q' and I can express these quantities in terms of the sphere's radius and the distance, so I think that's okay.

The second part of the question asks "what's the image system when the sphere is isolated (i.e. not earthed) and initially uncharged?" and then it asks me to find the force on the point charge q, which I can obviously do once I've worked out the magnitude and position of the image charge.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law F = q1q2/4∏ε0(r)^2

Potential at the surface of a charged sphere V = q / 4∏ε0(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know that the presence of q is going to induce some charge -q' on the hollow sphere, and that the charge -q' will be such that the electric field within the material of the hollow sphere is zero. My argument, which may be catastrophically wrong, is that we can say this is a point charge of -q' at the centre (because a charged hollow sphere behaves like a point charge at its centre).

If this is correct, how can we calculate the magnitude q' of the image charge? I think that the potential at the boundary should be q'/4∏ε0a, in which case I'm not sure how we can then calculate the magnitude of q'. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The method of images is usually used for a charge outside the sphere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_image_charges#Reflection_in_a_conducting_sphere
http://physicspages.com/2011/12/12/method-of-images-point-charge-and-sphere/

My argument, which may be catastrophically wrong, is that we can say this is a point charge of -q' at the centre (because a charged hollow sphere behaves like a point charge at its centre).
... you'll notice (see links) that the image charge is not in the center of the sphere.

1. What is an image charge?

An image charge is a hypothetical charge that is placed at a specific location in order to satisfy boundary conditions in electrostatic problems. It is used to simplify the calculation of electric fields and potentials in cases where the actual charge distribution is complex.

2. How does the presence of a hollow conducting sphere affect image charges?

The presence of a hollow conducting sphere can create additional image charges due to the reflection of charges on its surface. These additional image charges can affect the overall electric field and potential of the system.

3. What is the significance of using a hollow conducting sphere in the context of image charges?

A hollow conducting sphere is used in the context of image charges because it allows for the reflection of charges, which can create additional image charges. This makes the calculation of the electric field and potential more accurate and easier to solve.

4. Can a hollow conducting sphere have a net charge?

No, a hollow conducting sphere cannot have a net charge. This is because any excess charge on the surface would redistribute itself in such a way that the electric field inside the sphere becomes zero. This is known as the "Faraday cage" effect.

5. How can the presence of a hollow conducting sphere be used to manipulate the electric field in a system?

The presence of a hollow conducting sphere can be used to manipulate the electric field by placing charges at specific locations to create desired image charges. This technique is commonly used in the design of electronic devices such as capacitors and sensors.