Image for increase in gravitational potential energy in radial field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
hexcalibur
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
Suitable image for increase in gravitational potential energy in radial field
A question to physicists: What sort of real world scenario / image would *best* depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field?

Would a rocket traveling through the Earth's atmosphere suffice or are there better alternatives?

This image would have to be relevant to the equation: GMm*[1/r_1 - 1/r_2]

I have rockets, planets and space in mind but other suggestions are welcome too. Nothing boring please, hehe. 🙃
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean by real world scenario? The function looks like ##-\frac 1 r##, which is easy to see on a graph.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hexcalibur
What I'm looking for is an image to depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field. No mathematics is required. No graphs are required. No explanations required. What sort of image would look good beside the equation GMm*[1/r_1 - 1/r_2]? :-) Suggestions all welcome :-)
 
hexcalibur said:
What I'm looking for is an image to depict the increase in gravitational potential energy in a radial field.
Maybe a sweaty guy carrying a sack of concrete up a flight of stairs?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
berkeman said:
Maybe a sweaty guy carrying a sack of concrete up a flight of stairs?
With the equation for GPE emblazoned on the sack?
 
Well, I was thinking of something more planet, space related. Like maybe a rocket going up into space (leaving Earth), but would it match the equation? I wouldn't want an image that isn't relevant to that specific equation. :-)
 
I have left the equation in the summary [Edited].