Immortality: Stop DNA Aging or Swapping Consciousness?

In summary, the topic of achieving biological immortality and swapping consciousness has been discussed in various threads. However, with current technology and research on supercomputers and DNA decoding, it is unlikely that these concepts will become a reality in the next decade. While there is ongoing research on understanding the mind and DNA, there are ethical and scientific challenges that need to be addressed before these ideas can be applied to humans. Furthermore, aging is a complex process that involves factors beyond changes in DNA, such as protein aggregation and nutrient sensing. Overall, the possibility of achieving immortality and transferring consciousness remains a highly speculative topic in the scientific community.
fredreload
I know there are similar threads regarding the topics above, but which method do you think is more achievable within the next decade? With the current ways of supercomputer and computing in decoding DNA as well as brain mapping, it might be a possible reality in the future.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Next decade? Neither...

To know whether it's even possible to mobilize consciousness, we'd have to understand more about what it even is, physically. I don't think you're going to find any satisfactory answers in that regard, probably not in the next decade either.

There is research investigating some aspects of "bilogical immortality" and there's probably somebody on this board that could say a thing or two about it, but any kind of immortality that can be applied to humans is approaching 0 probability in the next decade.

With the current way of supercomputer research we are getting an idea of how mind works as well as getting better at decoding DNA strands. So when is it that we will really cross the line and say that such a thing is doable? I suppose someone with a knowledge on supercomputer and DNA decode could give us more insight, my understanding of DNA is simply at the base level,A,C,T,G. How does those become a pattern with a chain of protein and decode genetic disease such as Alzheimer? How would this help us stop the aging process? As for swapping consciousness a lab grown body will have to be prepared with the same memory and plasticity. Such a thing still meets ethical problem as to using artificial uterus and ectogenesis to grow a human and to prevent the consciousness from developing and transfer the outside consciousness in similar to the movie Selfless. Both of these are pretty big topic. I am just getting some ideas here and there.

P.S. Here's an idea about DNA and supercomputer http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/14/5308350/new-dna-supercomputer-promises-radically-cheaper-genome-tests
How would a sure fire way to identify genome and their functions be constructed?

Last edited:
With regard to the "DNA aging" side, although changes to our DNA (such as mutation, telomere degradation, and epigenetic changes) certainly contribute to aging, other factors unrelated to DNA contribute as well such as protein aggregation (e.g. in various neurological diseases like Alzheimer's) and changes in nutrient sensing (e.g. as in type II diabetes). These are examples of phenomena related to aging that do not necessarily involve changes at the DNA level.

Immortality and mind uploading are far too speculative for this forum. This forum is for the discussion and teaching of established science.

1. Can DNA aging be stopped?

As of now, there is no proven method to completely stop DNA aging. However, through various lifestyle choices such as maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly, it is possible to slow down the aging process.

2. Can DNA be altered to achieve immortality?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that altering DNA can lead to immortality. While gene editing technology has advanced, the long-term effects of altering DNA in this way are still unknown.

3. Is it possible to swap consciousness into a new body?

At this time, there is no known way to transfer consciousness from one body to another. While there are theories about the possibility of downloading consciousness into a computer, this has not been achieved yet.

4. Are there any current studies or research being done on achieving immortality?

There is ongoing research in the field of longevity and anti-aging, but the concept of achieving immortality is still largely considered to be a philosophical or fictional idea rather than a scientific possibility.

5. How can I extend my lifespan?

While there is no guaranteed way to extend lifespan, there are steps that individuals can take to promote healthy aging. This includes maintaining a balanced diet, staying physically active, and avoiding harmful habits such as smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.