Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Immortality: Stop DNA Aging or Swapping Consciousness?

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    I know there are similar threads regarding the topics above, but which method do you think is more achievable within the next decade? With the current ways of supercomputer and computing in decoding DNA as well as brain mapping, it might be a possible reality in the future.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    Next decade? Neither...

4. Sep 6, 2015 #3
  5. Sep 7, 2015 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

To know whether it's even possible to mobilize consciousness, we'd have to understand more about what it even is, physically. I don't think you're going to find any satisfactory answers in that regard, probably not in the next decade either.

There is research investigating some aspects of "bilogical immortality" and there's probably somebody on this board that could say a thing or two about it, but any kind of immortality that can be applied to humans is approaching 0 probability in the next decade.

6. Sep 7, 2015 #5
    With the current way of supercomputer research we are getting an idea of how mind works as well as getting better at decoding DNA strands. So when is it that we will really cross the line and say that such a thing is doable? I suppose someone with a knowledge on supercomputer and DNA decode could give us more insight, my understanding of DNA is simply at the base level,A,C,T,G. How does those become a pattern with a chain of protein and decode genetic disease such as Alzheimer? How would this help us stop the aging process? As for swapping consciousness a lab grown body will have to be prepared with the same memory and plasticity. Such a thing still meets ethical problem as to using artificial uterus and ectogenesis to grow a human and to prevent the consciousness from developing and transfer the outside consciousness in similar to the movie Selfless. Both of these are pretty big topic. I am just getting some ideas here and there.

P.S. Here's an idea about DNA and supercomputer http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/14/5308350/new-dna-supercomputer-promises-radically-cheaper-genome-tests
    How would a sure fire way to identify genome and their functions be constructed?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  7. Sep 7, 2015 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

With regard to the "DNA aging" side, although changes to our DNA (such as mutation, telomere degradation, and epigenetic changes) certainly contribute to aging, other factors unrelated to DNA contribute as well such as protein aggregation (e.g. in various neurological diseases like Alzheimer's) and changes in nutrient sensing (e.g. as in type II diabetes). These are examples of phenomena related to aging that do not necessarily involve changes at the DNA level.

8. Sep 7, 2015 #7
  9. Sep 7, 2015 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Immortality and mind uploading are far too speculative for this forum. This forum is for the discussion and teaching of established science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook