Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

1. Mar 21, 2003 #1
    On pf 2.0, (i believe it was Lurch) posted a thread on biophotons. He just wanted to know what they were, but I would like to know your thoughts on how biophotons are of any importance to us. IOW, how it is that they can be incorprated with consciousness, and basically our neural network.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    Did you have any ideas, Majin, as to how to incorporate the concept of biophotons, with that of consciousness?

4. Mar 26, 2003 #3
    Well maybe the fact that our brains do use electricity. But other than that, no. That's why I posted it here, so pf members could help me brainstorm. Do you have any ideas?

5. Mar 26, 2003 #4
    Well, I think that if scientists can understand all of the processes of the brain as a wave-function (perhaps of these biophotons), then one of those processes would be consciousness. Perhaps they'll then be able to measure the different levels of consiousness, not only of different humans, but also of other species of animal.

6. Mar 26, 2003 #5
    I estimate the resonance of DNA/RNA to have right-circularly polarized wavelength equal to the linear distance between complete turns of those molecules, 34 Angstroms (in the ultraviolet), a point of potential mutagenesis.

You may wish to visit my website (see the "www" button, below) for the article "Neurophysiological Uncertainty."

7. Mar 26, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, the first thing I think:
    "biophotons stored in DNA, used by as a dynamic web of light constantly released and absorbed by the DNA may connect cell organelles, cells, tissues, and organs within the body and serve as the organism's main communication network"
    ..right..

Problem one: we live in an environment immersed in light, how can you explain that the body doesn't react to exogeneous photons?

Problem two: visible light doesn't penetrate a layer of cells very well, how is it possible that tissues and organs are able to communicate by biophotons?

8. Mar 26, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry, I don't get what you are saying: do you mean that the wavelength of the biophoton needs to be 34 A in order for DNA to respond to the signal? And what do you mean by: a point of potential mutagenesis?

9. Mar 26, 2003 #8
    Monique-

Think of DNA as a having a sine function that describes its spiraling. The distance between successive crests of its sugar-phosphate backbone is 34 Angstroms. Such a wavelength may signify a critical point of resonance with photons in the ultraviolet, analogous to winds twisting and breaking the Tacoma Narrows bridge in Washington state circa 1940.

10. Mar 27, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you, but, resonating DNA is something real or a product of imagination?

11. Mar 27, 2003 #10
    My patent is pending. :wink:

12. Mar 28, 2003 #11

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I *really* think this "biophoton" thing is extremely crackpotty.

I do not doubt that the emmission of photons from cells but, as a general rule, "theories" that attempt to explain "soul", "consciousness", and that mix scientific terms with new age concepts, "life energies" and the like, are not sound.

Also, a quick search on the Science and Nature sites for "biophotons" returned no results. If this was for real, you would expect some serious studies to have been published in peer-reviewed journals (especially since, according to one website, this "biophotons" have been around for over half a century).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?