Immortality would you consider it?

• Thread starter Kakarot
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know.In summary, people might not agree to slowing down the rate of child production, so there would be some opposition to a miracle drug that stopped aging. However, if it got to an extreme and humans were only producing 1000 children a year, this would cause some evolutionary problems. People would probably still want to try it, but if there was no way to extend life beyond 80, they would be ok with dying around that time. It all depends on what you mean by immortality.

Would you become immortal?

• Yes

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Kakarot
If there were a breakthrough in science that stopped aging like say a shot or a pill would you take it? If there was a vote to legalize it or ban it, what would you vote? Now remember you would still be able to die but not by old age. Also do you think there would be a great opposition to such a miracle drug/shot?

Physics news on Phys.org
There probably would be some opposition, unless people were to agree to slow down the rate of child production.

What if it got to an extreme? Let's say where humans were producing less than 1000 children per year? What would this do to our species in an evolutionary sense?

Last edited:
If we found a way, sure. But if there was no way to extend life beyond, say, 80, I'd be ok with dying around that time. Either way, really. :biggrin:

Though it depends what you mean ---- I hope there's life after death, so in a sense I hope for immortality.

But not as a physical human. Too many limitations.

I want to live forever muahahaaaaa

Sure, why not. If you got tired of living you could always chop your head off, like in Highlander.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

I'm not too sure. If people live to say 180 on average before they get hit by a car or contract something deadly, what would their quality of life be like? People couldn't retire at 65 and live the next 100 and something years on a pension. What would working a job until 150 be like?

Only If I got to wear a red cape, otherwise no!

I'd rather be omnipresent. that would be way cooler to view something from every point surrounding it at once.

My curiosity seriously takes over here...

"I don't want to be immortal through my work. I want to be immortal through not dying." -- Woody Allen :rofl:
I don't know whether or not I want to be immortal through not dying but I sure wouldn't say no to having some theorem/function/idea named after me, or to prove a $1000000 problem.

I said yes. I believe that there is an afterlife, but in terms of eternity, what's a few hundred years between friends? Sooner or later something will get you.

I'd take it in a jiffy as long as it didn't cause baldness.

fourier jr said:
"I don't want to be immortal through my work. I want to be immortal through not dying." -- Woody Allen :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I couldn't have said it better

hitssquad said:

Not done, and not science. The disclaimer on that page is pretty clear on that:
Caution: I want everyone reading this to be very clear that publication of my personal supplement regimen is for the purpose of example only. While I know of no obvious reason why this regimen should not be appropriate and safe for any healthy male of my age or less to consume, I have no way of being certain of that. Nor do I have any evidence that this regimen will not, in fact, shorten my life or that of someone else taking it.
Bold emphasis mine.

So...this fictional treatment would let me get old without aging, but I wouldn't really be immortal, because other things could kill me, just not that slow deterioration of aging? If it turned out to be a horrid mistake, I could still jump in front of a bus and die? That sounds like a no-lose situation. I don't really want to be immortal, but I don't think anyone looks forward to feeling weak and tired as they age.

Depending on the side effects (they'd have to be like frequent seizures or spontaneous combustion to keep me away!), and if it were tested thouroughly, I would kill for it. Hell, I'd kill upwards of 20 people for it.

Being the only one in the world that was immortal would be a drag. If everyone was immortal it would be a nightmare. What's wrong with being satisfied with the time we have? Maybe we can even enjoy some of it. I voted no.

What's wrong with being satisfied with only the most? If I could live forever I would be extra EXTRA careful about how safe I am, because a truck would still be fatal. I would get to work right away on painting, drawing, piano, guitar and drums. I would go see more of the world than I haven't already. Go to college when I get around to it, go skydiving, bullriding, programming, architecture... I would DEFINITELY go into theoretical physics and philosophy. I got longer to think about things than most people. My stress level would hit zero, what do I have to worry about (except trucks and falling anvils)? I wouldn't be worried about my heath so much i.e. eat McDonald's everyday. But not that, whatever I wanted. Hey, if I have a heartattack, it will be unpleasant but I won't die! Wouldn't worry much about social consequences, there will always be more friends along the way.

Really indulge, oh yes indulge. Maybe take up hacking or being a professional thief? Eh? Of course only do that to the government, they won't kill you. If I go to jail, I haven't lost 20 years of my life! Well yes I have, but not like its a large fraction. In jail I'd do a lot of reading, a lot of scheming, a lot of exercising. After I get out, I'll take it easy for 50 years, then I'll go back to doing fun things :devil:

Would I go insane ever? From what? I would love to see all the great accomplishments of people over the next few hundreds of years. I'd stay out of anything dangerous such as a war, because I don't want to die!

I wouldn't care what people think of me because after they forget me or die, they're gone!

Ha ha! Foolish mortals! Suckers!

Oh yes I'd probably have lots and lots of sex. Don't worry about STDs or AIDS or anything! I'm immortal! I assume this comes with a get well from any disease feature. Hey, if it doesn't there will be a cure for AIDs soon enough!

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
I'd take it in a jiffy as long as it didn't cause baldness.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No worry, pal...at least you have a lot of time to find out the cure for baldness :smile:

but yes, i will so that i could do things more and discover more. but nevertheless i would still like to die and rest afterwards...and to me that's more immortal than staying alive forever. :smile:

I think that was a little too intense. Although it was a necessary evil to prove my point. I voted no because there would no longer be a reason to abide by any morale codes. I wouldn't want to exsist as a possibity exhauster for all exsistance.
-Scott

I would love to be immortal. I do not believe in an afterlife, so I want to get all I can in physical existence.

But the immortality must be of a certain nature. No disease, no accidents can kill me or disable me for long. Injuries should heal completely and quickly (if not instantaenously). If I ever wish to I should be able to end my life in a painless fashion (but this trigger should not be easy to activate by accident). Maybe some kind of euthanising nanobots within my body that need a specific code for activation.

I would not want to be immortal if accidents can easily kill me. Because one of the things that I want to do with my immortality is to fearlessly indulge in my love of motorsport. This is a fairly dangerous pasttime, and the stakes would be much higher if I were to anticipate losing an infinite amount of time due to an accident rather than just 50 years. No, I want to be immune from physical injury.

Curious3141 said:
I would not want to be immortal if accidents can easily kill me. Because one of the things that I want to do with my immortality is to fearlessly indulge in my love of motorsport. This is a fairly dangerous pasttime, and the stakes would be much higher if I were to anticipate losing an infinite amount of time due to an accident rather than just 50 years. No, I want to be immune from physical injury.

Yeah, I suppose you'd be into motorsports since you can't really get a car in Singapore unless you're really rich. Seeing them being drivin but not being able to drive them must be kind of frusterating. You may have a motorcycle though. I personally would like to drive a motorcycle, but I've never got around to it. I suppose I'd have the chance to if I had all the time I wanted...

1. What is immortality and how is it achieved?

Immortality refers to the ability to live forever or never die. It is typically achieved through advanced scientific or technological means, such as genetic engineering, nanotechnology, or regenerative medicine.

2. Is immortality possible?

At this point in time, immortality is not possible. While we have made significant advancements in anti-aging and life-extension technologies, there is currently no known way to achieve true immortality. However, with continued scientific research and advancements, it is possible that we may one day discover a way to extend human life indefinitely.

3. What are the potential benefits of immortality?

Some potential benefits of immortality include the ability to continue learning and growing, experiencing new things and meeting new people, and contributing to society for an extended period of time. It could also eliminate the fear of death and allow individuals to pursue their goals and dreams without the constraints of time.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of immortality?

Some potential drawbacks of immortality include overpopulation, resource depletion, and the potential for boredom or a lack of purpose. It could also lead to societal and economic issues, such as unequal access to immortality or the creation of a ruling elite who can afford it.

5. How would immortality impact society?

If immortality were to become a reality, it would have a profound impact on society. It could potentially change the way we view life, death, and the passage of time. It would also raise ethical and moral questions about who should have access to it and how it could be regulated. Additionally, it could have significant economic, environmental, and cultural implications.