Impact parameter of a photon in Schwarzchild metric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Big Guy
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm having trouble answering Question 9.20 in Hobson's book (Link: http://tinyurl.com/pjsymtd). This asks to prove that a photon will just graze the surface of a massive sphere if the impact parameter is [tex]b = r(\frac{r}{r-2\mu})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

So far I have used the geodeisic equations [tex](1-\frac{2\mu}{r})\dot{t} = k[/tex] and [tex]r^2\dot{\phi} = h[/tex] to give [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{b(1-\frac{2\mu}{r})}{r^2}[/tex] and b = h/k due to the argument given here http://www.physicspages.com/2013/06/13/photon-equations-of-motion/

This is extremely close to the actual result but I can't figure out why [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\frac{1}{b}[/tex].

Any help? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it myself. The metric for lightlike separation implies [tex]g_{00}\dot{t}^2 +g_{11}\dot{r}^2+g_{22}\dot{\phi}^2 =0[/tex] and we have expressions for phi dot and t dot from the OP. Just plug them in and since the expression is true everywhere we evaluate it on the surface of the star i.e where motion is purely tangential -> r dot is zero. So we just arrange the above equation for b = h/k to get the required answer.