Importance of CC grades for grad school/internships

• Schools
  • Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Grades
In summary, the community college grades would not affect your chances of getting an internship, grad school or whatever. However, the grades may be included in an evaluation process.
proton
I'm currently in my last semester in a community college. I'm aware that my grades this last semester won't affect my transfer admissions. But what I want to know is
Will my community college grades will affect my chances at getting an internship in the future?
Will they carry on to the GPA at my school or will my university GPA only be affected by my grades after I transfer?
Will they affect my Grad school admissions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should ask the university that you are transferring to, about their policy on transfer grades and GPAs.

Where I teach, grades in courses taken at other institutions are not included in "our" GPA, even though we do credit those courses towards our graduation and major requirements, subject to various rules.

People who are evaluating you for internships, grad school or whatever may of course choose to include your CC grades in their evaluation process.

Last edited:
proton if you know your stuff it shouldn't affect your chances of getting an internship. If perhaps the CC courses taught you nothing than your chances of getting an internship compared to a person a university are in the other persons favor.

i think your gpa at your university is a lot more important. I'm confident that if you get a 3.0 at CC then step it up and get a 3.8 or higher at the university level, that grad schools will either a) only look at your university gpa or b) look at both and realize you didn't do too hot in CC (which is far less important) and stepped it up for the university level. either way, just do good at the university you're attending

Well my situation is that I currently have a 3.94 gpa. Will it matter too much if I end this last semester with, say, a B in General Chem II and a B in US history?

I did a year at a community college and transferred the credits over to my univerisity. No one has ever asked me for the community college transcripts. They just see that I passed the courses on my university transcript. So do ask about it.

Although, I must say that I am firmly of the opinion that you should always do your best, no matter what. o:)

A 3.94 and you are asking about a B? Come on dude! <333

You are a brilliant guy, you can compute the GPA with two B's and then tell us what it comes out to. <333

1. What is the significance of CC grades for grad school admissions?

CC grades, also known as "credit" or "passing" grades, are important for grad school admissions as they demonstrate that the student has successfully completed a course and obtained the necessary credits. This shows that the student has a strong academic foundation and is able to meet the minimum requirements for admission.

2. How do CC grades affect my chances of getting into grad school?

CC grades can have a significant impact on your chances of getting into grad school. While they are not the sole determining factor, they do play a role in the admissions process. A strong overall GPA with a few CC grades may not be as detrimental as a consistently low GPA with many CC grades. It is important to maintain a balance between CC grades and higher grades to show academic consistency.

3. Do CC grades affect my eligibility for internships?

Similar to grad school admissions, CC grades may also play a role in determining your eligibility for internships. Some internships may have a minimum GPA requirement, and CC grades may not be counted towards the overall GPA. It is important to check with the specific internship program to understand their requirements and policies regarding CC grades.

4. Are CC grades viewed differently for different fields of study?

It is possible that CC grades may be viewed differently for different fields of study. Some programs may be more lenient towards CC grades, while others may place more emphasis on higher grades. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations for your desired field of study to understand the importance of CC grades.

5. Can I retake a course to improve a CC grade for grad school admissions?

It is possible to retake a course to improve a CC grade, but it is important to check with the specific grad school program to see if they accept grade replacements. Some programs may only consider the most recent grade, while others may take an average of both attempts. It is also important to consider the time and effort required to retake a course and if it aligns with your overall academic goals.