1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of E&M for physics grad school

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    Hi all! I graduated last year with my BS in physics and math. I am kind of confused about my choice to do physics in grad school, even though if I get my phD I probably wouldn't want to go into academia. I would like to do research in a government lab. I am comfortable with those theoretical and abstract concepts, and doing computational but not experimental work. Luckily, I heard that theoretical physicists with strong computational skills can easily find jobs in industry. But I want the job to involve physics and/or engineering, so I don't want to work as a programmer or in WS

My favorite physics class was quantum mechanics, one reason being that it used alot of linear algebra, which was also my favorite math class. I didn't take any physics electives, but solid-state physics looks interesting based on what I've read about it. I also liked statistical mechanics, though we barely covered it in my thermo class. However, the physics I enjoyed the least was thermodynamics and E&M. I discover that I am not interested in alot of the concepts in Griffith's E&M, such as problems involving circuits, solenoids, inductance, etc. As a result, I've had doubts of going into grad school for physics, and even related areas such as EE. I heard that Jackson's E&M is the toughest grad course in physics, so thats worrying to me.

My 2 undergrad research projects dealt with materials modeling and a little solid-state physics, and I enjoyed both projects. Also, based on my reading, it seems like theres some interesting research going on in physics such as lasers, quantum optics, and solid-state physics. I haven't looked too much into the more theoretical areas, such as HEP, astrophysics, etc, since I want to have more employment opportunities after I finish my phD. Although I liked my applied math classes, I tend to have a preference for the physical aspects of problems.
    Is it vital to really like E&M for physics grad school? I enjoyed quantum and statistical mechanics much more..
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    E&M is nearly inescapable. It describes a huge range of everyday phenomena. Take a look at your QM text to see how E&M is used in the discussion of the emission and absorption of light by atoms. There are also lots of important mathematical techniques that are usually introduced in the context of a E&M course (e.g. Green's functions). A graduate E&M course will not typically involve any circuit theory.

You don't have to love E&M, but you are probably not going to be able to avoid it in most fields of Physics.

A book that might help you to see what a beautiful subject this can be is Principles of Electrodynamics by Schwartz.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

You don't have to like it. But you do have to know it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook