Enthalpy: Pressure Change & Problem Solving

• Thread starter professor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of enthalpy, its definition as H=U+PV, and its usefulness in solving problems. The speaker also mentions that enthalpy does not have to be constant pressure and can be applied to constant volume processes. They thank the other person for their help.
professor
i understand enthalpy, what it is, how it changes. I have only two questions... first, as enthalpy changes the Pressure can change also (i know it doesent have to, but my book seems to be attempting to tell me that it never changes) and secondly could someone present a problem in which enthalpy could be usefull in solving? (only a concept for a problem would suffice)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fortunately enthalpy has an fundamental description. H=U+PV. You can apply calculus, algebra...whatever, but it's not going to help you to assume any absolutes about such concepts. Enthalpy is useful for most situations, if you're given specific limitations, you can even simplify enthalpy to internal energy for instance.

enthalpy doesn't have to be constant pressure, dH=dU+PdV+VdP, and you don't need to have constant pressure, you can even apply enthalpy towards a constant volume process.

ohh.. duh its just a simplification (or an attempt therof) to help in the finding of volume or pressure or one of the other described variables.. as allways, thanks

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to pressure change?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total heat content of a system. It is related to pressure change through the equation: dH = Vdp, where dH is the change in enthalpy, V is the volume, and dp is the change in pressure.

2. How is enthalpy used in problem solving?

Enthalpy is used in problem solving to analyze and predict the changes in heat and energy of a system. This is particularly useful in chemical reactions and phase changes.

3. What are some common units used to measure enthalpy?

The most common units used to measure enthalpy are joules (J) and kilojoules (kJ). In some cases, calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal) may also be used.

4. How does pressure affect enthalpy?

As pressure increases, the volume of a system decreases, resulting in a decrease in enthalpy. Similarly, a decrease in pressure leads to an increase in enthalpy. This is based on the equation: dH = Vdp, where pressure is directly proportional to the change in enthalpy.

5. Can enthalpy be measured experimentally?

Yes, enthalpy can be measured experimentally using various methods such as calorimetry, which measures the heat exchange between a reaction and its surroundings, or through bomb calorimetry, which measures the heat of combustion of a substance.