1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of getting a scholarship?

1. May 31, 2009 #1

tgt

It seems that most people are not worried about getting an undergraduate scholarship but desparately want a scholarship to do their research degrees. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because, by the time you finish your undergrad degree around the age of 21/22, you don't feel like taking out loans for another 3/4 years and racking up more debt before you finally start earning a wage at 26. On the other hand, most people settle for the fact that they won't get paid to study for their undergrad degree!

4. May 31, 2009 #3
    Criso covered it very nicely. I'll also add that a good amount of kids live with their parents during undergrad and by the time grad school rolls around they really want to move out on their own. Also, some people end up getting married or even having kids by this time and need the income.

5. May 31, 2009 #4
    Probably because a scholarship (RA or TA) in graduate school is pretty much expected, while not having one for undergraduate study is fairly typical. Personally, I wanted an undergraduate scholarship just as badly, and I would have gone to a community college if I hadn't gotten a scholarship. Or I might have worked part time so as not to go in debt. My point is that there are probably plenty of people who want a undergraduate scholarship just as badly as a graduate school one.

6. May 31, 2009 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're lucky that undergraduate scholarships exist in your country, then!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook