Ideas on Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship

In summary, the scholarship for gifted children provides information on what you need to do to be eligible for the scholarship. You need to write a research paper on a topic and then judges decide if the submitter should get a 50k scholarship, 25k scholarship, 10k scholarship, honorable mention, or nothing.
MevsEinstein
Hello Physics Forums!

There is a scholarship for gifted children under the age of 18 provided by Davidson Institute. What you need to do is write a research paper on a topic and then judges decide if the submitter should get a 50k scholarship, 25k scholarship, 10k scholarship, honorable mention, or nothing. For more information, click this link. Do you have any ideas on what to research? I am planning to submit on either Mathematics, Engineering, or Science.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may be putting the cart before the horse. Accomplish first, worry about the reward second.

Vanadium 50 said:
You may be putting the cart before the horse. Accomplish first, worry about the reward second.
I agree. That is why I want ideas on what to do. The reward doesn’t matter really since participating gives me experience for later.

Hey I got an idea. How about I do what Riemann did in his paper and set up a hard problem? I got one in mind that can help us understand more about twin primes if my conjecture is proved.

How do you know whatever your conjecture is has not already been proven/disproven? It would likely not be sufficient just to pose a “hard” problem. You would have to do research to prove that the resolution to the conjecture being true or false would have far reaching consequences.

MevsEinstein said:
what Riemann did in his paper
Which one? He wrote a lot of papers.

Likes Vanadium 50
Orodruin said:
Which one? He wrote a lot of papers.
The one where he stated the Riemann hypothesis. I will continue my research on the conjecture. It is similar to the prime number theorem but it is about twin primes instead. And I will find out if it has already been proven which would be great.

And it looks like the 2022 deadline has passed, so most likely you are thinking about what to work on for future year application periods...

The 2022 application deadline has passed.

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
And it looks like the 2022 deadline has passed, so most likely you are thinking about what to work on for future year application periods...
Yes since I want to think of something so I have more time on working for the scholarship. Making research papers scare me, so I have to spend a lot of time.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
@berkeman thanks for liking my post! It hasn’t happened for a while.

Likes berkeman
I made a new formula for finding the area of oblique triangles. Would this be a good idea?

How do you know that it is a new formula?
Why would it be any more useful than already existing ones?
What makes it an extraordinary achievement?

OP, I would strongly recommend you find a research advisor somehow. It is not unheard of for HS students to do original research, but it is very unlikely they’ll even know where to begin without a good mentor.

Likes MevsEinstein, pbuk and berkeman
MevsEinstein said:
I made a new formula for finding the area of oblique triangles.
No, you didn't.
At best, you have rearranged the existing formula.

Vanadium 50 said:
No, you didn't.
Does this already exist:
##K=\frac{\tan C (a^2+b^2-c^2)}{4}## I don't know tbh

After thinking about it, I won't use this formula for Davidson Institute since it requires four variables
TeethWhitener said:
OP, I would strongly recommend you find a research advisor somehow. It is not unheard of for HS students to do original research, but it is very unlikely they’ll even know where to begin without a good mentor.
Thanks for the advice!

MevsEinstein said:
I don't know tbh
This is a big big warning flag.

If you do not know whether you made an extraordinary breakthrough or not, then the absolutely most likely scenario is that you have not.

Since your formula uses four variables (I have not checked its validity) it is essentially useless. The typical thing to know in a triangle are three independent quantities (at least one length and then lengths and angles). The other quantities can be expressed in terms of those three. Using four just complicates your formula for no good reason whatsoever.

The Davidson Institute wants real research that is extraordinary for your age. Simply spending an afternoon thinking about a project or a problem is not going to cut it even if you are a genius.

Likes Vanadium 50
I found my research advisor. You can close this thread now :)

Orodruin said:
(I have not checked its validity
It's valid. It's a convoluted way of expressing height * length / 2. It's law of cosines to get you x^/2, the tangent turns it into xy/2.

Of course, taking a simple formula and obfuscating it is not a great accomplishment.

Likes Orodruin
I have a new formula for the area of a rectangle whose dimensions are W and L.

$$A = L \cdot \sqrt{W^2 + L^2} \cdot \sin( \arctan\left(\dfrac W L\right) )$$

My formula uses only two variables. Do I get a prize?
:oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes Delta2, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Sure you want sine and not [itex]\sqrt{1-\cos^2}[/itex]?

Just trying to be helpful.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sure you want sine and not [itex]\sqrt{1-\cos^2}[/itex]?

Just trying to be helpful.
No, that change would make my formula overly complicated. My motto is "Endeavor to eschew obfuscation and de-emphasize the utilization of nonessential sesquipedalian pronouncements."

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is the Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship?

The Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship is a prestigious award given to exceptional young students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievements and potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, literature, music, philosophy, and outside-the-box thinking.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship?

The scholarship is open to students who are 18 years of age or younger and have completed a significant piece of work in one of the aforementioned fields. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be able to attend the annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.

3. How are recipients of the Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship selected?

The selection process for the scholarship is highly competitive and rigorous. Each application is evaluated by a team of experts in the relevant field. Finalists are then invited to participate in an in-person interview with a panel of judges. Recipients are chosen based on their academic achievements, potential for future success, and the impact of their work on society.

4. What are the benefits of receiving the Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship?

In addition to the financial award, which can be up to $50,000, recipients of the scholarship gain access to a community of like-minded individuals and opportunities for mentorship and networking. They also receive recognition for their achievements and the opportunity to attend the annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.

5. How can I apply for the Davidson Institute Fellows Scholarship?

Applications for the scholarship open in the fall and can be submitted online through the Davidson Institute website. Applicants must provide information about their academic achievements, a personal statement, and a project or work sample. They must also submit letters of recommendation and transcripts. The application deadline is typically in February, and recipients are announced in April.