Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of the observer in double slit experiment and entanglement

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    Hi

In double slit experiment our observe can change the past and in the entanglement our observe affact other
    particle pair. How could such a thing possible ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think the observer changes the past in the double slit experiment, but in any case, both things are just quantum reality. That is, they are observed phenomena.

In entanglement, the observer is not actually changing the "other" particle, he/she/it is defining the combined state of the particle-pair. What's weird is that it happens FTL, but no useful information is transmitted.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForms, Quarlep! A few comments to add to what phinds said.

There are several interpretations of Quantum Mechanics which are intended to account for these. And each has its own drawbacks as well. A few examples are: Many Worlds, dBB/Bohmian Mechanics, Time Symmetric, etc.

No one truly knows what is occurring. And yet, the current understanding is good enough that many experiments can be conceived, predicted and explained.

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
  6. Dec 12, 2013 #5

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Dec 12, 2013 #6
    It was good so it is evindence of my idea isnt it

8. Dec 12, 2013 #7

Cthugha

Science Advisor

In the delayed choice quantum eraser you do not actually change the past. In a nutshell you can pick at a later point in time whether you want to perform a measurement which allows you to gather some more information about a second measurement done in the past or a measurement which does not allow you to do that.

One can give a more detailed description, but it involves quite some math. I am not sure you want the details.

9. Dec 12, 2013 #8
    I wiil glad if you share it

10. Dec 12, 2013 #9
    I didnt understand it. Can you explain it more simple.
    I will be glad if you show me the math.And this idea is proved or its just
    a mathematical explanation of this if its I want to learn other ideas.

11. Dec 13, 2013 #10

Cthugha

Science Advisor

I posted the in-a-nutshell version here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2241460&postcount=8

This is aimed at a version of the delayed choice quantum eraser done in the version by Kim et al.

The double slit version used by Walborn and others is maybe best explained by Walborn himself in the following paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.1236.

You will find the important results around page 52. Equation 96 is especially important. It gives you coincidence count rates. They explain how to get conditional fringes and you can play around with that equation for yourself to check the influence of detector size or other important parameters. The equation is rather lengthy, though.

12. Dec 13, 2013 #11
    Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook