Improper integral and the application of L'hopitals Rule

In summary: However, the second limit is 1/c, so it doesn't exist in this case. Therefore, your application of l'hopital's rule is not appropriate. In summary, you are trying to find the mean of a probability density function and after taking the anti-derivative and evaluating using the limit, you get an indeterminate form. Your attempt to use l'hopital's rule to solve the indeterminate part of the integral is not correct because the limit does not exist.
nick.martinez
in this problem I am trying to find the mean of the probability density function of c*e^(-c*t) and by doing so i am multiplying the function stated previously by the variable t, which i know is correct. after taking the anti derivative and evaluating using the limit. I get an indeterminate form of infinity over infinity and I then take the derivative of the numerator and denominator of the expression -e^(-c*t)*t which = t/(e^(c*t))= and get 1/(e^(c*x) which tends to zero when i take the limit as x->∞. I'll show my attempt below. i know the answer i got is right, but am unsure if my application of l'hopitals rule is appropriate.

∫ t*c^(-c*t)dt after integrating by parts i get: lim x->∞ -e^(-c*x)*x-(e^(-c*x))/c

then when i evaluate from 0 to ∞: [lim x->∞ -(x/(e^(c*x))-((e^(-c*x))/c)]-[(-e^(0)*0)-1/c]
for the indeterminate part of this integral i use lhopitals rule and take derivative of numerator and denominator of just that part of the equation. is this correct? Can apply lhopitals to just part of an expression and not the rest. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]lim_{x\to a} f(x)= A[itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= B[/itex] both exist then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)+ g(x)[/tex] also exists and is equal to A+ B. In your example, the first limit is 0 so you can use whatever method you want to determine the second.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration is infinite or the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. In these cases, the traditional methods of integration cannot be used and special techniques, such as L'hopital's Rule, must be applied.

2. How is L'hopital's Rule applied to improper integrals?

L'hopital's Rule states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions approaches either 0/0 or infinity/infinity, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and evaluating the limit again. This same principle can be applied to improper integrals by rewriting the integral as a limit of a quotient and using L'hopital's Rule to evaluate it.

3. When should L'hopital's Rule be used for improper integrals?

L'hopital's Rule should be used when the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote or when the limits of integration are infinite. In these cases, traditional integration methods will not work and L'hopital's Rule can be used to evaluate the improper integral.

4. Can L'hopital's Rule be used for all types of improper integrals?

No, L'hopital's Rule can only be used for certain types of improper integrals. It can be used for integrals with infinite limits of integration or functions with vertical asymptotes, but it cannot be used for integrals with infinite discontinuities or integrals with unbounded integrands.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using L'hopital's Rule for improper integrals?

Yes, there are limitations and drawbacks to using L'hopital's Rule for improper integrals. It can only be used for certain types of integrals and it may not always result in a definite answer. Additionally, the process of taking derivatives and evaluating limits can be time-consuming and may not always be the most efficient method of evaluating an improper integral. Therefore, it is important to consider other methods and techniques before relying solely on L'hopital's Rule.