Improved energy-momentum tensor changing dilation operator

In summary, under infinitesimal scale transformation, a generic field \varphi(x) transforms according to \delta^{*} \varphi (x) \equiv \bar{\varphi} (\bar{x}) - \varphi (x) = \Delta \varphi (x), where \Delta is the scaling dimension of the field. The canonical Noether current associated with this transformation is D_{c}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \varphi)} \Delta \varphi + T^{\mu \nu} \ x_{\nu}, where T^{\mu \nu} is the canonical energy-momentum tensor. However, a new
geoduck
I'm trying to show that [itex]\int d^3x \,x^\mu \left(\partial_\mu \partial_0-g_{\mu 0} \partial^2 \right)\phi^2(x)=0 [/itex]. This term represents an addition to a component of the energy-momentum tensor [itex]\theta_{\mu 0} [/itex] of a scalar field and I want to show that this does not change the dilation operator [itex]D=\int d^3 x \, x^\mu \theta_{\mu 0} [/itex]

What I have is that:

$$
\int d^3x \,x^\mu \left(\partial_\mu \partial_0-g_{\mu 0} \partial^2 \right)\phi^2(x)=\int d^3x \left[ \,x^j \left(\partial_j \partial_0 \right)\phi^2(x) +x^0\nabla^2\phi^2(x) \right]
$$

and I can argue that the 2nd term is zero, since x0 can be pulled out of the integral, and you are integrating a divergence and because boundary conditions are periodic, this term is zero. But I can't argue that the first term is zero. Is there a simple reason that the 1st term is zero? We are not allowed to use anything like equations of motions for the fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
geoduck said:
I'm trying to show that [itex]\int d^3x \,x^\mu \left(\partial_\mu \partial_0-g_{\mu 0} \partial^2 \right)\phi^2(x)=0 [/itex]. This term represents an addition to a component of the energy-momentum tensor [itex]\theta_{\mu 0} [/itex] of a scalar field and I want to show that this does not change the dilation operator [itex]D=\int d^3 x \, x^\mu \theta_{\mu 0} [/itex]

What I have is that:

$$
\int d^3x \,x^\mu \left(\partial_\mu \partial_0-g_{\mu 0} \partial^2 \right)\phi^2(x)=\int d^3x \left[ \,x^j \left(\partial_j \partial_0 \right)\phi^2(x) +x^0\nabla^2\phi^2(x) \right]
$$

and I can argue that the 2nd term is zero, since x0 can be pulled out of the integral, and you are integrating a divergence and because boundary conditions are periodic, this term is zero. But I can't argue that the first term is zero. Is there a simple reason that the 1st term is zero? We are not allowed to use anything like equations of motions for the fields.

Oh, you are very confused about this stuff. Okay, I will be naughty :smile: and wait and see if anybody (other than myself) can sort out your confusion. As a hint you can check out this old thread
www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172461
If, by tomorrow, you don’t get any replies, I post a detailed solution for you. :wink:

Okay, let’s start from the basics. Under infinitesimal scale transformation, a generic field [itex]\varphi ( x )[/itex] transforms according to [tex]\delta^{*} \varphi ( x ) \equiv \bar{\varphi} ( \bar{x} ) - \varphi ( x ) = \Delta \ \varphi ( x ) ,[/tex] where [itex]\Delta[/itex] is the scaling dimension of the field. The canonical Noether current associated with this transformation (the dilatation current) is [tex]D_{c}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_{\mu} \varphi )} \Delta \varphi + T^{\mu \nu} \ x_{\nu} ,[/tex] where [tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_{\mu} \varphi )} \partial^{\nu} \varphi - \eta^{\mu \nu} \mathcal{L} ,[/tex] is the canonical energy-momentum tensor. For a Lorentz scalar field, we have [itex]\Delta = 1[/itex] and [tex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_{\mu} \varphi )} = \partial^{\mu} \varphi .[/tex] Therefore, the canonical dilatation current becomes [tex]D_{c}^{\sigma} = T^{\sigma \tau} \ x_{\tau} + \varphi \ \partial^{\sigma} \varphi , \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] and the associated scaling generator is [tex]D \equiv \int d^{3} x \ D_{c}^{0} ( x ) = \int d^{3} x \left( T^{0 \tau} \ x_{\tau} + \varphi \ \partial^{0} \varphi \right) .[/tex] Now, let’s play with the second term in Eq(1). First, you can check that [tex]\varphi \partial^{\sigma} \varphi = \frac{1}{2} \ \partial^{\sigma} \varphi^{2} = - \frac{1}{6} \ \eta_{\rho \tau} \left( \eta^{\tau \sigma} \partial^{\rho} - \eta^{\tau \rho} \partial^{\sigma} \right) \varphi^{2} .[/tex] Using the relation [itex]\eta_{\rho \tau} = \partial_{\rho} x_{\tau}[/itex] , we find [tex]\varphi \ \partial^{\sigma} \varphi = - \frac{1}{6} \ ( \partial_{\rho} x_{\tau} ) \left( \eta^{\tau \sigma} \partial^{\rho} - \eta^{\tau \rho} \partial^{\sigma} \right) \varphi^{2} .[/tex] Finally, with help of the identity [itex]( \partial X ) Y = \partial ( X Y ) - X ( \partial Y )[/itex], we rewrite the above equation in the form [tex]\varphi \ \partial^{\sigma} \varphi = \frac{1}{6} \ x_{\tau} \partial_{\rho} \ ( \eta^{\tau \sigma} \partial^{\rho} \varphi^{2} - \eta^{\tau \rho} \partial^{\sigma} \varphi^{2} ) - \frac{1}{6} \ \partial_{\rho} ( x^{\sigma} \partial^{\rho} \varphi^{2} - x^{\rho} \partial^{\sigma}\varphi^{2} ) . \ \ (2)[/tex] Now, substituting (2) in (1) we get [tex]D_{c}^{\sigma} + \partial_{\rho} X^{\sigma \rho} = \theta^{\sigma \tau} x_{\tau} , \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] where [tex]X^{\sigma \rho} = - X^{\rho \sigma} \equiv \frac{1}{6} \ ( x^{\sigma} \partial^{\rho} - x^{\rho} \partial^{\sigma} ) \varphi^{2} ,[/tex] and [tex]\theta^{\sigma \tau} = T^{\sigma \tau} + \frac{1}{6} \ ( \eta^{\sigma \tau} \partial^{2} - \partial^{\sigma} \partial^{\tau} ) \varphi^{2} . \ \ \ (4)[/tex] Now, let us examine the left-hand-side of Eq(3) by writing [tex]D^{\sigma} \equiv D_{c}^{\sigma} + \partial_{\rho} X^{\sigma \rho} .[/tex] The last term is the divergence of an anti-symmetric tensor (super-potential), so it does not contribute to the scaling current and charge. Indeed [itex]\partial_{\sigma} D^{\sigma} = \partial_{\sigma} D_{c}^{\sigma}[/itex] and, since [tex]\int d^{3} x \ \partial_{\rho} X^{\rho 0} = \int d^{3} x \ \partial_{j} X^{j 0} = 0 ,[/tex] we find [tex]\int d^{3} x \ D^{0} ( x ) = \int d^{3} x \ D_{c}^{0} ( x ) = D .[/tex] Thus, [itex]D^{\mu}[/itex] is a legitimate dilatation current and, therefore, can be used instead of the canonical Noether current [itex]D_{c}^{\mu}[/itex]. This implies that the tensor [itex]\theta^{\mu \nu}[/itex] as given by eq(4) is a new legitimate energy-momentum tensor. Indeed it is: It is easy to check that the new tensor has the following properties [tex]\theta^{\mu \nu} = \theta^{\nu \mu} , \ \ \partial_{\mu} \theta^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = 0 .[/tex] And, more importantly, the added piece in (4) does not change the Poincare’ generators [tex]P^{\mu} = \int d^{3} x \ \theta^{0 \mu} = \int d^{3} x \ T^{0 \mu} ,[/tex] [tex]M^{\mu \nu} = \int d^{3} x \ ( x^{\mu} \theta^{0 \nu} - x^{\nu} \theta^{0 \mu} ) = \int d^{3} x \ ( x^{\mu} T^{0 \nu} - x^{\nu} T^{0 \mu} ) .[/tex] So, given [itex]\theta^{\mu \nu}[/itex] we can rewrite dilatation current in the following compact form [tex]D^{\sigma} = \theta^{\sigma \tau} x_{\tau} .[/tex] So, [tex]\partial_{\mu} D^{\mu} = \theta^{\mu}_{\mu} .[/tex] Thus, for scale-invariant scalar field theory, the new energy-momentum tensor is traceless [itex]\theta^{\mu}_{\mu} = 0[/itex]. I believe you have realized now that your question is a trivial one as you can see that [tex]\int d^{3} x \ \theta^{0 \tau} \ x_{\tau} = \int d^{3} x \ ( T^{0 \tau} \ x_{\tau} + \varphi \ \partial^{0} \varphi ) = D .[/tex]

Sam

1. What is the improved energy-momentum tensor in physics?

The improved energy-momentum tensor in physics is a mathematical concept used to describe the distribution and flow of energy and momentum in a physical system. It includes both the energy and momentum of matter and fields, and is often used in theories such as general relativity and quantum field theory.

2. How does the improved energy-momentum tensor change under dilation?

The improved energy-momentum tensor changes under dilation, or a change in scale, by a factor of the dilation operator. This can be thought of as a rescaling of the energy and momentum components of the tensor, while still maintaining the same overall structure and physical meaning.

3. What is the significance of the improved energy-momentum tensor changing under dilation?

The fact that the improved energy-momentum tensor changes under dilation is significant in that it allows for a more accurate description of physical systems that undergo changes in scale. This is particularly relevant in cosmology, where the universe is constantly expanding and changing in size.

4. How is the improved energy-momentum tensor changing dilation operator derived?

The improved energy-momentum tensor changing dilation operator is derived using mathematical techniques such as tensor calculus and group theory. It involves manipulating the components of the tensor and applying the principles of dilation to determine the appropriate scaling factor.

5. What are the applications of the improved energy-momentum tensor changing dilation operator?

The improved energy-momentum tensor changing dilation operator has various applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of cosmology, black holes, and quantum field theory. It also plays a crucial role in the development of more accurate and comprehensive models of the universe and its fundamental laws.