Improving MPG with hydrogen/oxygen

• Thread starter Razzor7
  • Start date
In summary, using an alternator to hydrolysis water and running the oxygen/hydrogen into the engine may not necessarily improve gas mileage. While some devices claim to do so, it is likely that energy is lost in the process and the only potential benefit is better driving habits. The only other potential explanation is that the combination of hydrogen and gasoline in the engine improves gasoline burning, but this could also be a scam.
Razzor7
If you use the alternator to hydrolysis water and then run the oxygen/hydrogen into the engine, is there any way for this to improve your gas mileage? I know that many such devices exist, but on the surface it appears that energy must be lost. Energy from the gasoline is hydrolyzing the water, and then energy is regained from these byproducts of hydrolysis. But this amount of energy must be less than the original input. The only alternate I can imagine is that a combination of hydrogen and gasoline in the engine causes the gasoline to burn more effectively, creating a net MPG benefit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Razzor7 said:
If you use the alternator to hydrolysis water and then run the oxygen/hydrogen into the engine, is there any way for this to improve your gas mileage? I know that many such devices exist, but on the surface it appears that energy must be lost. Energy from the gasoline is hydrolyzing the water, and then energy is regained from these byproducts of hydrolysis. But this amount of energy must be less than the original input.
Precisely.
The only alternate I can imagine is that a combination of hydrogen and gasoline in the engine causes the gasoline to burn more effectively, creating a net MPG benefit.
The injection of hydrogen is very small, and the primary effect is to improve your driving habits, with the result that you may get better mpg.
Bob S

Razzor7 said:
If you use the alternator to hydrolysis water and then run the oxygen/hydrogen into the engine, is there any way for this to improve your gas mileage?
No

but on the surface it appears that energy must be lost.
Correct

But this amount of energy must be less than the original input.
Also correct

The only alternate I can imagine is that a combination of hydrogen and gasoline in the engine causes the gasoline to burn more effectively, creating a net MPG benefit.
The only alternative is that they are a con

1. How does hydrogen/oxygen improve MPG?

Hydrogen/oxygen systems are designed to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen gas through a process called electrolysis. These gases are then added to the fuel mixture in an internal combustion engine, which helps to burn the fuel more efficiently and increase MPG.

2. Do I need to modify my vehicle to use hydrogen/oxygen?

Yes, a hydrogen/oxygen system will require modifications to your vehicle's fuel system in order to introduce the gases into the fuel mixture. This can be done by a professional mechanic or through the use of a DIY kit.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using hydrogen/oxygen?

Like any modification to a vehicle, there are safety considerations to take into account. The hydrogen/oxygen system will add additional components to the fuel system, and it is important to ensure that they are properly installed and maintained to prevent any potential hazards.

4. Will using hydrogen/oxygen void my vehicle's warranty?

It is always important to check with your vehicle's manufacturer to see if using a hydrogen/oxygen system will void your warranty. Some manufacturers may have specific guidelines or restrictions on modifications to the fuel system.

5. Can hydrogen/oxygen be used in all types of vehicles?

While hydrogen/oxygen systems have been successfully implemented in many types of vehicles, they may not be suitable for all vehicles. It is important to research and consult with a professional before attempting to use a hydrogen/oxygen system in your specific vehicle model.