1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse from basket ball against ground at an angle

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To basketball player bounces the 0.60-kg basketball to another player by bouncing it off the court. The ball hits the court with a speed of 6.5 m/s at an angle of 50° from the vertical. If the ball rebounds with the same speed and angle, what was the impulse delivered to it by the court?

2. Relevant equations

I know that Impulse is the change in momentum, or the force times the change in time.

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot figure out how to find the Impulse with simply the velocity an angles. Is there a change in momentum if all it does is change direction? If so, how do I use the angles to calculate the change?
    I try doing the x/y components of the velocity but it seems to cancel out.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You must use xy components. There is no change in the x velocity, so no impulse. But there is a change in the y velocity - it reverses direction so you'll have something like Δv = -v - v = -2v. Of course you know the number for v, the vertical component of the 6.5 m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook