Impulse of a Ball - Greatest Change in Momentum

  • Thread starter Thread starter I Like Pi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Impulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
I Like Pi
Messages
90
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If a tennis player were to throw his ball against a wall, which impulse would be the greatest? The throw, the bounce, or the catch?

Homework Equations



I = F * t
P = m * v

The Attempt at a Solution



I believe the bounce is the greatest, as it has the greatest change in momentum, but I can't explain my thought...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes you are right. bounce has the greatest change in momentum. let's say that velocity before the impact is [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] , then velocity after the bounce would be
[tex]-\vec{v}[/tex]. so initial momentum is [tex]m\vec{v}[/tex] and final momentum is
[tex]-m\vec{v}[/tex]. so the change in momentum would be [tex]-m\vec{v}-m\vec{v}[/tex] which is [tex]-2m\vec{v}[/tex]. but when the ball is caught, final momentum is zero, so the change in momentum is [tex]0-m\vec{v}[/tex] which is [tex]-m\vec{v}[/tex]
same argument can be made for the case when the the ball is thrown.

Edit: I am assuming above that the kinetic energy is not lost. Even if the kinetic energy is lost, the reasoning is not affected.
 
IssacNewton said:
yes you are right. bounce has the greatest change in momentum. let's say that velocity before the impact is [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] , then velocity after the bounce would be
[tex]-\vec{v}[/tex]. so initial momentum is [tex]m\vec{v}[/tex] and final momentum is
[tex]-m\vec{v}[/tex]. so the change in momentum would be [tex]-m\vec{v}-m\vec{v}[/tex] which is [tex]-2m\vec{v}[/tex]. but when the ball is caught, final momentum is zero, so the change in momentum is [tex]0-m\vec{v}[/tex] which is [tex]-m\vec{v}[/tex]
same argument can be made for the case when the the ball is thrown.

Edit: I am assuming above that the kinetic energy is not lost. Even if the kinetic energy is lost, the reasoning is not affected.

Hey! Thanks for the reply! It makes sense, and I assume when the ball is thrown it is the reverse? The initial momentum is zero?

Thank you!
 
yes, when the ball is thrown, the initial momentum is zero. and final momentum is
[tex]m\vec{v}[/tex] so the change in momentum is [tex]m\vec{v}[/tex] which is a smaller change in absolute terms than in the case of bouncing ball.