In Delaware and it is funtime for elections

• News
  • Thread starter airborne18
  • Start date
In summary: There are 93 Del residents listed as contributors, and only 2 from out of state. In summary, the Tea Party targeting of Delaware has been very entertaining. I am not from the state, so it has taken me time to get used to the odd politics in the state. The last thing I saw was a weird group whose platform is based on the Birther stuff and anti-abortion. Oh and they want the first time buyer credit increased or something. It would be amusing, except that money is being spent on this.
mheslep said:
Where did she deny the establishment clause?

It's about 7:02 into the video I quoted.

She doubted that the constitution mandated a separation between church and state, not the establishment clause directly but when Coons paraphrased, she said something like: "That's in the constitution?" to great laughter among the audience of future lawyers.

[EDIT: See: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/10/separation-of-church-and-state.html for a transcript of the words in question.]

Physics news on Phys.org
inflector said:
The look of disbelief on her face and the tone of her voice after she realized that just maybe she was wrong and that the first amendment did mandate that "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" might actually have been in the constitution was priceless.

She was at a law school so you know virtually everyone in the audience knew the first amendment by heart or could at least paraphrase.

She's toast. For someone who claims to hold the Constitution so dear to have not known what the first amendment says won't help her cause even among her base.

Although I watched that on my iPhone (3GS without the magical Retina Display that my eyes probably wouldn't be able to handle anyway), I thought she had the self-satisfied "See, these people laughed at my witty rebuttal and/or dazzling brilliance!" instead of the the gasps of incredulity and laughs of "Is she serious?" that I believe them to have. But what do I know?

Maybe she's such a constitutional scholar that she knows the phrase "Separation of State and Church" is not in the First Amendment. We already know that she's not necessarily up to date on the Supreme Court and might not be knowledgeable of that's body consistent support and upholding of this understanding.

EDIT: maybe it's just that beatific smile and slightly glazed-over look that she always seems to have--that freaked me out the first few times I saw it.

mheslep said:
Where did she deny the establishment clause?
She specifically questions the establishment clause at least twice, at 6:10 and 7:15.

Approximation of those exchanges:

Coons: "The first amendment requires that the federal government shall not establish any religion" [okay, he's a little off]

O'Donnell: "The First Amendment does?" <incredulous expression>

Gokul43201 said:
O'Donnell: "The First Amendment does?" <incredulous expression>

Yay, the great defender of the Constitution! Take note tea partiers, another paper tiger and a Sarah Palin favorite. Just who and what are you supporting?

Today on John King, her latest blunder was considered. When asked about the 14th and 16th amendments, O'Donnell had to ask what they are.

John King asked if it is fair to expect O'Donnell to know the Constitution by heart? He then played another clip of her citing her expertise in Constitutional Law. The clips should be up shortly.

What is really hurting Democrats here, and I suppose other states. is the constant running of negative ads produced by special interests in other states.

[Youtube]uBGKxjdsUUQ

No man In AZ would be caught dead in yellow bib overalls, although he might be found dead in yellow bib overalls.:devil:

They attack anyone running against a Tea Party candidate. The tea Party jerk we have running here in AZ District 8 is a college freshman drop out originally from Montana.

Democrat Giffords has a masters degree, she is married to an astronaut, has twice been elected to congress.

So far Giffords is behind in the polls.