(In)dependence in entanglement experiments

In summary, there is a strong correlation between entangled particles in a pair, but not between particles from different pairs. To test the probabilistic predictions of quantum theory, it is important to ensure that there are no additional correlations between the members of the ensemble. If there is a correlation between the outcomes of independent runs, it suggests that there is some influence between the particles, which could potentially be non-local. However, there is still discussion and disagreement about the nature of this correlation and its causes.
entropy1
TL;DR Summary
Are runs in an entanglement experiment independent or dependent?
If an entanglement experiment, whereby an entangled pair of particles is measured at both ends, is independent of the next entanglement experiment with another pair of entangled particles, how can there be a correlation? It seems that each independent run does not influence the next run, but wouldn't the correlation measured over several runs in that case not have to be zero? And if the correlation is significantly deviated from zero, does that not mean that the runs must be dependent? And what causes this dependence?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correlation is of course there only for each pair. Not for particles from a different pair, if really the two-particle entangled states are realized by the state preparation.

If there'd by correlations between the particles in different pairs, you'd not describe two-particle entangled states, but (mabye) multi-particle entangled states, which are of course as possible, but then describing a different situation (which usually is technically more difficult to realize as all the people trying to construct many-qubit quantum computers know only too well).

vanhees71 said:
The correlation is of course there only for each pair. Not for particles from a different pair, if really the two-particle entangled states are realized by the state preparation.

If there'd by correlations between the particles in different pairs, you'd not describe two-particle entangled states, but (mabye) multi-particle entangled states, which are of course as possible, but then describing a different situation (which usually is technically more difficult to realize as all the people trying to construct many-qubit quantum computers know only too well).
If you mean correlation between runs, that is not what I mean. A pair of entangled particles cannot yield a correlation. So I mean several runs of independent single pairs, and calculating the correlation of paired measurement outcomes, straight forward really...

Entanglement describes always a very strong correlation. As shown by Bell, it's stronger than in any deterministic local hidden-variable theory, which leads to the violation of the corresponding inequality derived under this assumption.

Obviously I don't understand the question then, because to test a probabilistic statement (of QT or otherwise) you have to prepare each member of the ensemble used to make the measurements independent from each other. The strong correlations describe correlation of each single pair.

E.g., in the spin-singlet state of two spins 1/2,
$$|\Psi \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|1/2,-1/2 \rangle-|-1/2,1/2 \rangle),$$
there's a 100% correlation between these two spins, though each single spin is maximally indetermined, and that's the case for any such prepared state. To test the probabilistic predictions, you have to make sure that in repeating the experiment forming an ensemble there are NO correlations between the members of the ensemble. If there are such additional correlations you test a different state!

@vanhees71 So maybe we have this misunderstanding: I mean that, for instance with two SG magnets, the respective orientation of the magnets create a correlation in the ensemble of respective measurements that depends on the respective orientation of the magnets. This is the correlation I'm referring to. This is considered a dependence of the respective measurements (A and B). Further, I would say that for the correlation to be manifest, it requires an ensemble of runs.

entropy1 said:
It seems that each independent run does not influence the next run, but wouldn't the correlation measured over several runs in that case not have to be zero? And if the correlation is significantly deviated from zero, does that not mean that the runs must be dependent? And what causes this dependence?

So, if the runs (of measuring a pair) are random and independent (this is what you mean), what would cause this correlation between the respective outcomes at the magnets? Wouldn't random and independent runs only be able to produce zero correlations in the ensemble, unless there is some influence between the particles?

Said differently: if the particles only have local information at the magnets, the outcome at each magnet would be random and that would mean zero correlation between outcomes. So, conversely, if there is a non-zero correlation between the outcomes, the information in the pair would have to be non-local.

If the outcomes at each end would be random, so there is no non-locality, then we have to consider that the runs themselves have some (inter)dependence.

I have some trouble getting this communicated cleary, for which I apologize.

EDIT: Nevermind. I can't undertand myself anymore so forget it.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
I can't undertand myself anymore so forget it.

Thread closed.

1. What is the concept of independence in entanglement experiments?

The concept of independence in entanglement experiments refers to the state of two or more particles being entangled, but still maintaining their individual properties and behaviors. This means that even though the particles are connected and can influence each other, they are still able to act independently.

2. How is independence measured in entanglement experiments?

Independence in entanglement experiments is typically measured through statistical analysis and correlations between the properties of the entangled particles. If the particles exhibit a high degree of correlation, it indicates a lack of independence, while a low degree of correlation suggests a greater level of independence.

3. Why is independence important in entanglement experiments?

Independence is important in entanglement experiments because it allows for the study and manipulation of individual particles without affecting the entangled state. This is crucial for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and for potential applications in quantum computing and communication.

4. Can independence be maintained in all entanglement experiments?

No, it is not always possible to maintain independence in entanglement experiments. Factors such as environmental noise and the strength of entanglement can affect the level of independence between particles. However, researchers strive to minimize these factors to achieve the highest level of independence possible.

5. How does independence in entanglement experiments relate to the concept of entanglement swapping?

Independence in entanglement experiments is closely related to the concept of entanglement swapping. In entanglement swapping, particles that were previously entangled become independent from each other, while particles that were previously independent become entangled. This allows for the transfer of entanglement between particles and can be used for long-distance communication.