In geometry, why the invariant properties that matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of studying geometry and the role of invariant properties in this subject. The main question is why we prioritize studying invariant properties and their relationship to isometric properties. It is explained that invariant properties are what truly matter in problem-solving and that variant properties can be used to break down and solve problems. In the case of euclidean geometry, the relationship between invariant properties and isometric properties is seen through the preservation of distance.
mafendee
Dear all,

i'm trying to understand geometry by studying the subject myself. i came across idea that I'm very much confuse of. it say's that 'geometry is a studies of geometric properties that is invariant under transformation' such as distance for euclidean geometry.

my question is: why do we studies invariant properties, why not study variant properties instead? why are we so interested in invariant properties? what role does it plays in the study of geometry?

i do hope that someone will be able to enlighten this to me. some textbooks that I'm reading only stop at telling the geometry is a studies of invariants prop, w/o telling why.

million of thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We study variant properties too. Basically invariant properties are what matter and variant properties are what don't matter. This varies from problem to problem and in different areas of geometry. Sometimes we care about the variant properties and we use the transformation to split the problem into multiple parts and solve them then recombine them. For example if we have a triangle we might not care what side is up, what way it faces, or where it is. So we want to study isometry invariant properties. Even if we do care we can learn from the isometry invariant properties and throw the isometry variant properties in latter.

thanks for your reply and sorry for late response. I did a lot of reading on this. My further question would be, is it safe to say that the invariant properties is very much related to the isometric properties, and in case of euclidean geometry such that: f(ab)=f(a).f(b) where a and b are distance (that is preserve)?

1. What are invariant properties in geometry?

Invariant properties in geometry are characteristics of a geometric shape or figure that remain the same even when the shape is transformed or manipulated in some way. These properties are not affected by translations, rotations, reflections, or dilations.

2. Why are invariant properties important in geometry?

Invariant properties are important in geometry because they allow us to make accurate and meaningful comparisons between different shapes. They also help us identify and define geometric figures and understand their relationships with other figures.

3. What are some examples of invariant properties in geometry?

Some examples of invariant properties in geometry include the number of sides and angles in a polygon, the length of the sides of a square, and the measure of the angles in a triangle. These properties remain the same even if the shape is transformed in some way.

4. How do invariant properties help us solve geometric problems?

Invariant properties provide us with a set of consistent and unchanging characteristics that we can use to solve geometric problems. By identifying and utilizing these properties, we can make accurate calculations and deductions to solve complex geometric problems.

5. Are all properties in geometry invariant?

No, not all properties in geometry are invariant. Some properties, such as the position or orientation of a shape, can change when the shape is transformed. However, invariant properties are an essential concept in geometry and play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing geometric figures.