Place of Analytic geometry in modern undergraduate curriculum

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the placement of analytic geometry in the mathematical knowledge system and its relationship to linear algebra. The question is raised about why analytic geometry is studied alongside calculus in US universities instead of alongside linear algebra. Additionally, the topic of non-Euclidean and projective geometries is brought up and the lack of a separate course for these topics in US curricula is questioned. The conversation also mentions the integration of geometry topics into courses at US top universities and the potential benefits of studying US textbooks. Finally, the conversation touches on the evolution of analytic geometry courses and their focus on applying algebraic processes to the world.
Bananeen
Hello.
I am a freshmen student in mathematics at Moscow State University (in Russia) and I'm confused with placing the subject called "analytic geometry" into the system of mathematical knowledge (if you will).

We had an analytic geometry course in fall; now we are having a course in linear algebra and it seems like most of the facts from "analytic geometry" are proved in a much more systematic and easier manner (quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra" "Linear algebra has a concrete representation in analytic geometry"). Many of our progressive professors also think that analytic geometry should be eliminated from the curriculum to clear more space for a linear algebra course.

So I'm confused:
1) if analytic geometry is a "concrete representation" of linear algebra, then why is it studied along with calculus (and not along with linear algebra) in US universities? (e.g. textbooks like )

There were, however, interesting parts of the course that were not covered in linear algebra: synthetic high-school-style treatment of beautiful topics like non-Euclidian and projective geometries.
Then
2) why is not there a separate course for such topics in US curricula? As I understand US math majors study 2 basic subjects - real analysis and (abstract+linear) algebra (math 55 at Harvard, 18.100 and 18.700-702 at MIT). Are these geometric topics integrated into one of these courses or they are not considered worth studying for a modern math major?

Thank you

PS. This question is also important for me because it helps a lot to browse through US top universities for textbooks they use and notes. Unfortunately, Russian mathematical school is now in tatters and US textbooks are often significantly better. And since in high school geometry was among my favorite subjects I am particularly concerned about our geometry sequence and want to browse through best geometry syllabi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Long ago there were two separate courses, "Calculus" and "Analytic Geometry". Then (perhaps around the 1950s ... ?) they were generally combined into a single course "Calculus with Analytic Geometry". Those courses hope to intersperse the topics so that some analytic geometry can be used in calculus, and some calculus can be used in analytic geometry.

Hello Bananeen and welcome.

I suppose it depends on what was in your analytic geometry syllabus. Much of the work in modern analytic geometry has been directed at computer uses and is not linear although we often try to establish linear approximations for ease of calculation. Mapping surfaces, for instance, is generally non linear. I know some of this is an overlap with projective geometry but it needs to be covered sometime. In the ultimate analytic geometry is about applying algebraic style formulae and processes (including calculus) to our world, regardless of where they come from.

go well

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes using coordinate systems and equations.

2. How is analytic geometry relevant in modern undergraduate curriculum?

Analytic geometry is an important foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What topics are typically covered in a modern undergraduate analytic geometry course?

Topics covered in an undergraduate analytic geometry course may include coordinate systems, equations of lines and curves, conic sections, vectors, and transformations. Some courses may also cover three-dimensional geometry and applications of analytic geometry.

4. How does the study of analytic geometry differ from traditional geometry?

Traditional geometry focuses on the properties and relationships of shapes and figures, while analytic geometry uses algebraic methods to study geometric shapes and their properties. Analytic geometry also allows for the study of more complex and abstract shapes that may not have a physical representation.

5. What skills can students gain from studying analytic geometry?

Studying analytic geometry can help students develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning. It also provides a foundation for understanding and applying more advanced mathematical concepts and has practical applications in various fields of study and industries.