In memory of Marcus, a mentor in quantum gravity
- Thread starter francesca
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
107 replies · 26K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 13,423
- 4,244
My deepest condolences to the family. It is a tragic loss to his family and another great member of PF saying goodbye in the saddening way possible (I remember about self Adjoint years ago).
Science Advisor
- 2,243
- 169
My condolences, Marcus was always able to supply excellent counter points to LCDM in LQC based models. I always enjoyed his counter points to numerous threads where I've supplied one variation to an answer, then he supplied another.
I also enjoyed working with him on the lightcone tutorial development. He had a natural way to extend the flexibility of the calculator well beyond its first appearance.
His true gift was simplifying the complex mathematics for numerous posters who didn't have strong math skills.
He will be missed.
I also enjoyed working with him on the lightcone tutorial development. He had a natural way to extend the flexibility of the calculator well beyond its first appearance.
His true gift was simplifying the complex mathematics for numerous posters who didn't have strong math skills.
He will be missed.
MalcolmB
- 29
- 11
What sad news. My deepest condolences go out to Marcus's family, friends and everyone whose lives he touched. I'm deeply indebted to him for his patience and knowledge which have helped me to understand some of the complexities of our wonderful Universe.
RIP Marcus.
RIP Marcus.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
I never really interacted with Marcus, though I read many of his threads ... I'm sorry for the loss of this intelligent mind! @tamwuff May your family heal and receive comfort from those around you.
Though I must say, this is just more proof that PF is such a splendid community--to remember it's members once they have passed.
Though I must say, this is just more proof that PF is such a splendid community--to remember it's members once they have passed.
enorbet
- 484
- 85
I know of little else that impacts humans as deeply as death because we all seem so helpless in the facing of it. I am very grateful that you, tamwuff, saw fit to let us know some details during your time of grief. I find that a bit heroic and also somewhat understandable given the influence of a good man like Marcus. Please accept my deeply sincere expression of love and respect for your father for all his drive to share his knowledge so unselfishly. Also trust that once the physical process of grief has has diminished, while you will forever miss him as so many of us here will, you, like us, will find that grief ultimately greatly outpaced by the goodness and brightness of the man and the manner of life he apparently led. This thread is certainly testament to a major aspect of that. Peace to you and yours.
Markus Hanke
- 260
- 45
This is very sad, and a stark reminder of our own transcience and mortality. I have not known him for long, but it is safe to say that not only did a remarkable human being pass on, but along with him also an incredible amount of knowledge and understanding on this universe we are all part of. A lifetime to accumulate, yet lost in a moment.
RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.
RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.
*now*
- 97
- 71
My sincerest condolences to tamwuff and the rest of his family.
He is a legend, like his favourite Marcus, Marcus Varro (Varro Reatinus), the most brilliant polymath of Ancient Roman world. Augustine wrote of that Marcus, homo omnium facile acutissimus et sine ulla dubitatione doctissimus (Aug. Civ. 6,2) [5.1179], (roughly, “The most perspicacious and without doubt, easily most learned”).
Our Marcus wrote of harmony, and "Varro produced a remarkably broad spectrum of works that covered almost all areas of intellectual inquiry... all of which were complemented by his own colourful poetic composition” (Butterfield), with understanding for diverse fields, and considering those verbal and those to do with proportion and motion, harmoniously.
Thank you.
He is a legend, like his favourite Marcus, Marcus Varro (Varro Reatinus), the most brilliant polymath of Ancient Roman world. Augustine wrote of that Marcus, homo omnium facile acutissimus et sine ulla dubitatione doctissimus (Aug. Civ. 6,2) [5.1179], (roughly, “The most perspicacious and without doubt, easily most learned”).
Our Marcus wrote of harmony, and "Varro produced a remarkably broad spectrum of works that covered almost all areas of intellectual inquiry... all of which were complemented by his own colourful poetic composition” (Butterfield), with understanding for diverse fields, and considering those verbal and those to do with proportion and motion, harmoniously.
Thank you.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 14,921
- 7,631
This forum will never be the same without him. RIP
Garlic
Gold Member
- 181
- 72
My sincerest condolences to tamwuff and their family.
I've seen marcus's posts, but I have never contacted with him in the forum. Still, I shared the sorrow of his passing. I wish I had the chance to meet him.
May your soul rest in peace..
I've seen marcus's posts, but I have never contacted with him in the forum. Still, I shared the sorrow of his passing. I wish I had the chance to meet him.
May your soul rest in peace..
- 13,923
- 16,802
Pretty much what I've been trying to figure out how to say. My condolences also, @tamwuff.Borg said:@tamwuff. I would like to offer my condolences as well. I haven't had the skills to discuss topics on his level but I always knew what a great contribution he made to this community. I am saddened by the loss of one of our great ones.
mheslep
Gold Member
- 376
- 714
How sad. I'll miss Marcus ..
W. H. Auden seems about right ...
http://allpoetry.com/Funeral-Blues
W. H. Auden seems about right ...
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,...
The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
http://allpoetry.com/Funeral-Blues
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
My deepest condolences to all of Marcus's friends, and especially his family. I only spoke directly with Marcus a few times but attempted to follow many of his LQG discussions for eight years. He has indeed been a legend at PF for as long as I've been around. And in a sense he will live on through the minds of his many readers and fans through his 24,000+ posts here at PF.
My first interaction with Marcus was when he called me out for posting in pseudo iambic pentameter. :D He liked that.
My first interaction with Marcus was when he called me out for posting in pseudo iambic pentameter. :D He liked that.
Davephaelon
- 152
- 27
When I first started reading and browsing the threads on PF I realized that Marcus was among the most knowledgeable and prolific contributors on here, selflessly providing educational guidance to the whole community, over a very long time. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Science Advisor
- 2,348
- 124
My sincere condolences.
- 20,002
- 11,120
Lord Crc
- 341
- 47
My condolences to the family.
Marcus had a positively contagious enthusiasm for science, as well as being highly inclusive and patient.
As a layman I really enjoyed following his posts, especially in the Beyond the Standard Model, Astrophysics and Cosmology forums.
His contributions will be greatly missed.
Marcus had a positively contagious enthusiasm for science, as well as being highly inclusive and patient.
As a layman I really enjoyed following his posts, especially in the Beyond the Standard Model, Astrophysics and Cosmology forums.
His contributions will be greatly missed.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
- 2,695
- 1,669
tamwuff said:Hi everyone -- Marcus's son here. Thank you all for the love and warmth here in this thread.
To answer the question about "what happened", it was esophagus cancer -- we found out about it in September, but by that point it was advanced to a level where not much could be done. We tried anyway -- chemo, radiation, etc. But, well...
I know he cared a whole lot about all of you guys. When I would see him or talk to him on the phone, he would often update me on what was going on here on PF, and how he was starting a poll or posting a summary of various papers or whatever else he would do on a regular basis. I empathized with how he felt about PF, since my generation grew up with the internet and I thought it was wonderful to see him bonding as deeply with you guys as I've bonded with the online communities I'm part of.
You guys rock. Hugs to you all.
Thanks for letting us know. We will miss him dearly, as I am sure you will a hundred times more.
kodama
- 1,102
- 147
i will miss him. hopefully atty can continue his work on the bibliography
johanw
- 24
- 1
I just logged in after a long time and read this. How sad, and a big loss to PF. My condolences to his family and all PF members.
samg1
- 6
- 1
I don't know Marcus as I am a new member but RIP that's all I can say
julcab12
- 330
- 28
... My curiosity with QG started with him. Sad. A true educator.
tade
- 720
- 26
cancer is a horrible thing
chwala
Gold Member
- 2,844
- 434
RIP...its everyone's journey, time is the only variable, we are all heading there, we celebrate his life, rip Marcus
Similar threads
- kodama
- · Replies 26 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 26
- marcus
- · Replies 24 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 24
- 403036387
- · Replies 27 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 27
- marcus
- · Replies 13 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 13