In Triangle EFG find the value of f, if e=7.3cm g=8.7cm and angle E= 73 degrees

In summary, the formula for finding the value of f in a triangle is f = √(e² + g² - 2egcosE), where e and g are the lengths of the other two sides and E is the angle opposite to side f. To determine which side is f, you must identify the angle opposite to it, and label f as the side opposite to that angle. The Pythagorean theorem cannot be used to find f in this case, as it can only be applied to right triangles. In order to use the formula, the measure of angle E must be known. However, the formula can be used for any triangle, not just right triangles.
VivaItalia
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help on this question

In Triangle EFG find the value of f, if e=7.3cm g=8.7cm and angle E= 73 degrees

This question is from the lesson "Cosine Law" and from what I understand you can use the cosine law if you have all three side lengths or 2 sides and the angle between the two sides...

however, this question provides neither... how do I solve for F?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try to write out the cosine law and substitute in the values you have. You will get a quadratic which you can solve.

1. What is the formula for finding the value of f in a triangle?

The formula for finding the value of f in a triangle is f = √(e² + g² - 2egcosE), where e and g are the lengths of the other two sides and E is the angle opposite to side f.

2. How do I determine which side is side f in a triangle?

In order to determine which side is f in a triangle, you must first identify the angle opposite to side f. In this case, angle E is opposite to side f, so you can label f as the side opposite to angle E.

3. Can I use the given values to find the value of f using the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Pythagorean theorem (a² + b² = c²) can only be used to find the length of a side in a right triangle. In this case, triangle EFG is not a right triangle, so the Pythagorean theorem cannot be applied.

4. Is there a way to find the value of f without knowing the measure of angle E?

No, in order to use the formula for finding the value of f, you need to know the measure of angle E. Without this information, you cannot accurately calculate the value of f.

5. Can I use the given values to find the value of f if triangle EFG is not a right triangle?

Yes, you can still use the formula for finding the value of f even if triangle EFG is not a right triangle. The formula can be used for any triangle, regardless of whether it is a right triangle or not.