1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In which situation is the magnetic force nonzero?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves through a magnetic field. In which situation is the magnetic force nonzero?

A. The charge is zero and the particle is moving perpendicular to the magnetic field.
    B. The charge is negative and the particle is moving in the direction of the magnetic field.
    C. The charge is zero and the particle is moving in the direction of the magnetic field.
    D. The charge is zero and the particle is moving in the direction opposite that of the magnetic field.
    E. The charge is positive and the particle is moving in the direction opposite that of the magnetic field.
    F. The charge is positive and the particle is moving perpendicular to the magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    F= qv x B

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have ruled out A, C, and D. I think the answer is F because it will be equal to 1 then.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi McAfee! :smile:
    Yes, that's correct :smile:

the others are 0 either because v is 0, or because v is parallel or anti-parallel to B (sinθ = 0)

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks tiny-tim for confirming and congrats on the 2011 PF Award. People like you are really helpful. I wish you best of luck in your future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook