1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incircle tangents in a triangle

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In triangle ABC, there is a maximun circle (3 intersection points) such that the lengths of the triangles are 3 : 4 : 5. A ray from the smallest angle C is tangential to the opposite side. Another ray from the greatest angle B is also tangential to the opposite side.

Find p : q where p is the length between the ray from the greatest angle to the tangential point and the intersection of this ray to another ray from smaller angle;
    q is the length between the intersection of two rays and the vertex C.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem can be solved by Mass point geometry and areas/lengths.
    However, I am not sure about the ratios of how the rays divide triangle's two sides.

We do know that whether the rays are bisectors although they meet inside the circle.

How would you solve the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2
    I don't follow your description of the problem. Is there a picture you can upload? I don't know where the extra triangles are, unless that was a typo in the first line.

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    The problem in the original form:

A circle inscribed in a 3-4-5 triangle. A segment is drawn from the smaller acute angle to the point of tangency on the opposite side. This segment is divided in the ratio p : q by the segment drawn from the larger acute angle to the point of tangency on its opposite side. If p > q then find p : q.

The same problem is in the following picture at
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/175564/problem2.JPG [Broken]
    You can see a triangle which shows you how I understand the question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook